Sydney is a postcard city, perched comfortably in its own magnificent harbour. Amongst the internationally renowned iconic Opera House and Harbour Bridge lie secret gardens and boardwalk’s, back alleys and abstract perspectives. Join The Aperture Club for some unique local experiences and new perspectives on our photo / walk safari through colourful, historic and iconic Sydney.
Travel is about discovery and we understand how inspiring and exciting it is to discover a new city. On this photo / walk safari we won’t bombard you with over technical photography facts and information; instead we lead you to discover some new photography skills while enjoying a unique perspective on our beautiful city and its many undiscovered treasures - all through the eye of your lens.
We value the ‘hands-on' learning approach and guide you with easy steps to master your cameras functions giving you ideas and insightful tips to help you capture Sydney's scenery, harbour, architecture and people, with time and freedom to capture your own inspiring images too. We reveal easy ways to achieve stunning effects without the need to understand photography theory. Your safari is limited to a handful of participants allowing almost one-on-one coaching.
This Safari begins at historic Luna Park, where we take in the colour and lights. We then traverse the Sydney Harbour Bridge taking to see the spectacular cityscape from the tall pylons. We then walk through the historic archaeological remnants of The Rocks where you get an insight into how the early founders lived. We culminate our experience with a bird’s eye view of the Iconic sails of the Sydney Opera House.
We look at ways to draw inspiration from what you discover through your lens and show you how to use features like colour balance and composition to enhance the power of your photographs. Every city has a unique quality of light as a result of its geographic location. The quality of light and the direction of light will play an important part in photographing our city and, therefore, becomes an integral part of producing exceptional photographs.
You will come away with a very memorable and unique experience of Sydney, some exciting new photography skills to use and an array of beautiful images to reflect your unique experience of our beautiful city.
- Introduction to your camera
- Essential equipment
- How to select the right lens
- Aperture settings
- Shutter speed settings
- ISO settings
- Colour balance
- Manual mode settings
- Composition rules and tips
- Learn to ‘see’ with a photographic eye
- Light – the main ingredient and how it works
If it looks like there will be unbearable weather on the day, we will contact you early that morning to advise that the workshop will not operate. Otherwise, you should assume the workshop will operate as scheduled. In the event of a cancellation, you can select an alternative workshop date.
CLASS SIZE: Minimum 4 / Maximum 10 DAY OF OPERATION: Selected Fridays TIME: 8 am to 12 noon (4 hours) Please arrive 15 minutes before the workshop commences to ensure we start on time.
- Introduction to your camera
- Essential equipment
- How to select the right lens
- Detailed Aperture Club notes will be emailed on completion of this photo / walking safari so you can re-visit them at any time in the future.
- Kits are available for hire if you want to experience the full functionality and excitement of using a professional photographers camera.
- Kits include a camera body and lens. The cost is $75. Kits are limited, so if interested, please book this when you book and confirm your workshop.
- TUTORS: 1 Guide / Professional Photographer
- At least 1 Memory Card
- At least 1 set of spare batteries - fully charged
- Your camera manual
- Camera bag
- Water / food / snacks
- Pubic transport / Parking (Luna Park or at the Opera House)
- A DSLR, compact camera or smartphone. However, to achieve the most from this photo / walking safari we recommend using a DSLR camera. Please bring the manual if you have one.
- A digital SLR camera, compact camera of smartphone
Comfy walking shoes, Weather appropriate clothing, Sunscreen / hat
Vendor sincce 2015
The Aperture Club runs photography workshops and tours that allow you to develop your creativity, meet like-minded people and be part of an evolving exciting club with endless possibilities.
The Aperture Club is a social classroom of practical and interactive learning.
The various photography workshops, tours, day and weekend excursions are designed to create an environment that helps you think like a photographer, understand observation and learn to capture what you see.
Discover your passion or just becoming more knowledgeable with your camera.
Allow yourself to explore new techniques and to develop a new understanding of photography.
Being part of The Aperture Club also allows you to get away from regular life, spend uninterrupted time meeting new friends, identify your interests and enjoy the fun and adventure of photography.
We look forward to you growing with us…
Terms & Conditions
1). Registration and Payment
Full payment (and any associated extra’s and booking fees) must be paid in full at the time of booking to ensure your place on the photography workshop or special event.
2). Cancellation and Refund Policy
1. If a photography workshop or special event is cancelled by us, or re-scheduled due to bad weather or any other emergency you can re-book onto another scheduled date for the same workshop or special event. If no alternative date is available a refund will be provided and must be accepted a full and final settlement.
2. If you need to cancel a workshop or special event, this must be made in writing (email) and the following cancellations fees will apply;
a. If cancelled 15 days (or more) in advance of the workshop or special event date, the cancellation fee is 50%.
b. No refund is available if you cancel 14 days (or less) before the start date of the workshop or special event.
3. The Aperture Club is not responsible for any other costs which participants may incur including but not limited to travel, car rental, insurance, photographic purchases and/or rentals.
Through the course of the day, images of the group including individual participants may be taken and subsequently used for marketing of The Aperture Club. Please inform us prior to the photography workshop or special event if you prefer to be excluded from any images used to market The Aperture Club. Requests need to be made in writing (email) in advance of the workshop or special event start date.
4). Gift Vouchers – Conditions of Use
1. Gift vouchers are to be redeemed by person named on the voucher only and can be exchanged for any workshop or special event offered through The Aperture Club.
2. Gift vouchers can not be redeemable for cash.
3. Gift vouchers may be used as part or full payment for any workshop or special event. If the fees are more than the amount specified on the voucher the bearer of the voucher must pay the additional fees, being the difference between the value of the voucher and the total cost of the workshop or special event being booked. If the cost of the workshop or special event is less than the amount specified on the voucher, no refund is provided.
3. Gift Vouchers must be redeemed with 365 days of the date of purchase.
5). Workshop Schedule and Agenda
All photography workshops and special event schedules and plans are subject to change at our discretion depending upon, but not limited to, adverse weather, health and safety considerations, or any other factor as determined by us.
6). Limit of Liability
The Aperture Club; Sharon Hickey, Shane Rozario and Warren Smith accept no liability for death, illness, accident or injury or loss or damage to photo equipment or personal belongings during the course of any workshop or special event, or in transit thereto. We do not accept any responsibility for loss or additional expenses due to delay or changes in the services provided. We reserve the right to change our arrangements should conditions necessitate, or to cancel any aspect of the workshop or special event due to exceptional circumstances. The Aperture Club’s liability shall be limited to the total value of the workshop or special event. The Aperture Club is not liable for any indirect or consequential loss. By booking and paying for any workshop or special event offered by The Aperture Club, participants acknowledge that they are aware of the risks of personal injury and deem themselves physically capable of safely taking part in the workshop or special event. Further they release The Aperture Club, Sharon Hickey, Shane Rozario, Warren Smith, guest presenters, guest speakers, assistants, trainees and models from all liability for death, injury, illness, accident or loss of personal property or expenses associated with participation in the workshop or special event.
7). Your Agreement to this contract
In reserving a place on the photography workshop or special event and paying the appropriate fee/s, you agree to accept all of the above terms and conditions. The person who makes the booking does so on behalf of all of the individuals included in that booking; all are bound by the same terms and conditions.
For terms and conditions associated with a Meetup, please refer to the general ‘Terms and Conditions’ listed on the Meetup website, which you agreed to when you registered as a Member of Meetup.