Sydney is a vibrant city known for its iconic Harbour Bridge and Opera House. But beyond the icons there is a diversity of people and a cool street and street art culture. A thriving metropolis, Downtown Sydney is a hub of activity and has many characteristics and characters perfect for street photography - people, cafes, vendors, street merchants, buskers, pets, historical buildings, art installations and so much more…
We begin the workshop with an introduction and an opportunity for a morning coffee. We then explore the busy and colourful Town Hall and St Andrews Square area as it comes to life. We delve into the urban landscape that unfolds as cafes open and people start to fill the city streets. There are heritage arcades and laneways and charming eclectic speciality stores plus many unique spaces heavy with street iconic images ready to capture as well as the local residents and exotic and interesting travellers too. Our adventure takes us through Sydney’s stunning heritage shopping arcades, whilst exploring unknown laneways and inner city parks and art installations in search of inspiration and the unusual.
We break for lunch at one of the local establishments and debrief on the day so far. This is a great opportunity to exchange stories and ask as many questions as you like.
After lunch, our focus will be refining the mornings experience, Your experienced tutor/s will fine tune your technique with one on one coaching and give you opportunities to explore new experiences in capturing outstanding images.
By the end of this unique experience, you will have photographed an exciting visual story of the city’s unique culture and its community. The perfect end to our 'street photography' experience.
We finish at 2 PM in proximity to Sydney Town Hall.
The power of observation underpins the art of great street photography. Learning to ‘see’ interesting detail is a practiced skill and we introduce you to easy methods that will open your photographer’s eye and expose you to a world that is alive with detail. We show you how to create pleasing images simply by using the rules of composition and placing lines, shapes and patterns carefully within your frame. The most rewarding part of the workshop though is learning how to approach interesting people and have them willingly pose for you. We will coach you one-to-one to give you the skills you need to achieve this goal.
Street photography is a candid style of photography generally shot in a public place and is a great avenue for storytelling. The secret to this method of storytelling is to stay inconspicuous as you capture and observe 'real' life around you.
Your observation skills will become finely tuned by the end of this workshop and you will notice more detail wherever you go.
Henri Cartier-Bresson is popularly known as the best street photographer of all time and once said, “above all, I craved to seize the whole essence, in the confines of one single photograph, of some situation that was in the process of unrolling itself before my eyes”. In essence, this is what street photography / photojournalism is all about and what every photographer aims to capture when out shooting - to produce an image or images that tell a unique story. What story will you tell?
- How to improve your power of observation
- How to identify your ‘points of interest’
- Quality and properties of light
- Street awareness and etiquette
- Candid photography techniques
- How to predict and time a great moment
- Approaching people and requesting a portrait
- How to be inconspicuous
- Choice of camera equipment
Objectives: Sharpen your powers of observation and improve your candid photography skills as we teach you how to predict and capture moments without being noticed at the same time building your confidence in approaching strangers to ask if you can take their photography.
Outcomes: You will come away with an understanding of how to approach storytelling using photography and observation.
If it looks like there will be unbearable weather on the day, we will contact you early that morning to advise that the workshop will not operate. Otherwise, you should assume the workshop will operate as scheduled. In the event of cancellation, you can select an alternative workshop date.
CLASS SIZE: Minimum 4 / Maximum 10 DAY OF OPERATION: Selected Sundays TIME: 9 AM to 2 PM (5 hours) Please arrive 15 minutes before the workshop commences to ensure we start on time.
- How to improve your power of observation
- How to identify your ‘points of interest’
- TUTORS: 1 professional Photographer (Sharon Hickey / Shane Rozario) and a photographer's assistant. (Subject to group size)
- Detailed Aperture Club course notes will be emailed on completion of the photography workshop.
- We recommend a DSLR to get the most benefit from this photography workshop.
- Your camera; DSLR or compact (gear should be kept to a minimum)
- Batteries (charged)
- Drinks, meals / snacks
- Pubic transport / Parking
Comfortable walking shoes, Hat and sunscreen, Weather dependant clothing. We recommend you wear clothes that don’t attract attention in order to be an inconspicuous observer
Beginners / Amateurs / Intermediate. People who have a basic knowledge of their camera.
Vendor sincce 2015
The Aperture Club runs photography workshops and tours that allow you to develop your creativity, meet like-minded people and be part of an evolving exciting club with endless possibilities.
The Aperture Club is a social classroom of practical and interactive learning.
The various photography workshops, tours, day and weekend excursions are designed to create an environment that helps you think like a photographer, understand observation and learn to capture what you see.
Discover your passion or just becoming more knowledgeable with your camera.
Allow yourself to explore new techniques and to develop a new understanding of photography.
Being part of The Aperture Club also allows you to get away from regular life, spend uninterrupted time meeting new friends, identify your interests and enjoy the fun and adventure of photography.
We look forward to you growing with us…
Terms & Conditions
1). Registration and Payment
Full payment (and any associated extra’s and booking fees) must be paid in full at the time of booking to ensure your place on the photography workshop or special event.
2). Cancellation and Refund Policy
1. If a photography workshop or special event is cancelled by us, or re-scheduled due to bad weather or any other emergency you can re-book onto another scheduled date for the same workshop or special event. If no alternative date is available a refund will be provided and must be accepted a full and final settlement.
2. If you need to cancel a workshop or special event, this must be made in writing (email) and the following cancellations fees will apply;
a. If cancelled 15 days (or more) in advance of the workshop or special event date, the cancellation fee is 50%.
b. No refund is available if you cancel 14 days (or less) before the start date of the workshop or special event.
3. The Aperture Club is not responsible for any other costs which participants may incur including but not limited to travel, car rental, insurance, photographic purchases and/or rentals.
Through the course of the day, images of the group including individual participants may be taken and subsequently used for marketing of The Aperture Club. Please inform us prior to the photography workshop or special event if you prefer to be excluded from any images used to market The Aperture Club. Requests need to be made in writing (email) in advance of the workshop or special event start date.
4). Gift Vouchers – Conditions of Use
1. Gift vouchers are to be redeemed by person named on the voucher only and can be exchanged for any workshop or special event offered through The Aperture Club.
2. Gift vouchers can not be redeemable for cash.
3. Gift vouchers may be used as part or full payment for any workshop or special event. If the fees are more than the amount specified on the voucher the bearer of the voucher must pay the additional fees, being the difference between the value of the voucher and the total cost of the workshop or special event being booked. If the cost of the workshop or special event is less than the amount specified on the voucher, no refund is provided.
3. Gift Vouchers must be redeemed with 365 days of the date of purchase.
5). Workshop Schedule and Agenda
All photography workshops and special event schedules and plans are subject to change at our discretion depending upon, but not limited to, adverse weather, health and safety considerations, or any other factor as determined by us.
6). Limit of Liability
The Aperture Club; Sharon Hickey, Shane Rozario and Warren Smith accept no liability for death, illness, accident or injury or loss or damage to photo equipment or personal belongings during the course of any workshop or special event, or in transit thereto. We do not accept any responsibility for loss or additional expenses due to delay or changes in the services provided. We reserve the right to change our arrangements should conditions necessitate, or to cancel any aspect of the workshop or special event due to exceptional circumstances. The Aperture Club’s liability shall be limited to the total value of the workshop or special event. The Aperture Club is not liable for any indirect or consequential loss. By booking and paying for any workshop or special event offered by The Aperture Club, participants acknowledge that they are aware of the risks of personal injury and deem themselves physically capable of safely taking part in the workshop or special event. Further they release The Aperture Club, Sharon Hickey, Shane Rozario, Warren Smith, guest presenters, guest speakers, assistants, trainees and models from all liability for death, injury, illness, accident or loss of personal property or expenses associated with participation in the workshop or special event.
7). Your Agreement to this contract
In reserving a place on the photography workshop or special event and paying the appropriate fee/s, you agree to accept all of the above terms and conditions. The person who makes the booking does so on behalf of all of the individuals included in that booking; all are bound by the same terms and conditions.
For terms and conditions associated with a Meetup, please refer to the general ‘Terms and Conditions’ listed on the Meetup website, which you agreed to when you registered as a Member of Meetup.