Fundamentals of Photography - Sydney (Private) Good for 2 Person
Do you have a yearning to experiment with digital photography, to take your camera ‘off’ auto and capture inspirational and engaging images? If so, this 12-hour (4 hours per week over 3 consecutive Sunday's) digital photography course is for you. Come and learn from the professionals; let your personal ‘creative journey’ begin…
Through social media outlets such as Facebook and Instagram, we are literally reliving ‘moments’ in time and relaying them to the world on a daily basis. We are seeing a rebirth of photography and the importance of creative visual communication. We have also seen the camera or DSLR becoming an increasingly desirable tool to create exciting photographs to explore art and self-expression.
Today people actually want to understand the complexities of their cameras and its functions to have the opportunity to make extraordinary photographs.
It is, for this reason, The Aperture Club developed the 'Fundamentals of Photography Course'; designed to give you the knowledge, enthusiasm, understanding as well as an opportunity to explore your visual and creative ideas.
We think doing the course over 3 consecutive weeks will enable you to incrementally advance your understanding of photography while not being overwhelmed on a long single day or weekend workshop.
By the end of the course you will have gained enough knowledge and confidence to start exploring other genres of creative photography that will develop your passion and love for the craft.
We work in small groups of no more than 10 students and you benefit from two photographers giving you that extra one-on-one focus and attention (subject the group size).
We start by building your knowledge of camera basics. We re-introduce you to your camera and explain its logic, programs and functions. You will gain confidence in handling your camera enabling you to shoot creative images using composition, easy techniques and simple effects rather than taking snapshots on AUTO mode.
Master Manual Mode is the next step towards taking control of your camera, allowing you to make informed decisions on the style and direction you want your photograph to take. Control means moving away from the AUTO functions.
To cap off this unique learning experience you will be introduced to the importance of flash photography, enabling you to take flattering images of family and friends at social events whether outdoors in the bright afternoon sun, indoors or at night. You will master the fundamentals of photography and set yourself up for a lifetime of creative expression with your camera.
The individual components of this course include;
- Camera Essentials (4 hours)
- Master Manual Mode (4 hours)
- Focus on Flash (4 hours)
This comprehensive 3-week digital photography course (12 hours in total) will give you a thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of photography. From camera basics to manual photography and understanding your flash. With a solid understanding of the basics, you are then able to apply more advanced features on your camera and explore creative photography using manual controls. To cap off the learning experience you will be introduced to flash photography, enabling you to take flattering images of family and friends at social events whether indoors, outdoors or at night.
These 'Fundamentals of Photography' will prepare you for your creative photographic journey and set you up for a lifetime of fun and adventure with your camera.
WEEK 1: CAMERA ESSENTIALS
We understand that learning about your digital cameras and its functionality can be a little daunting, but we won’t bombard you with loads of facts and information… As photographers, we very much value the ‘hands on approach’. We also keep the classes small which all add's to the interactive learning experience and ensures the best outcome for you.
With simple and easy methods, you will see results by the end of the workshop. You will be more confident in handling your camera and creating images that go beyond the 'snapshot'.
- Introduction to your camera
- Essential equipment
- How to select the right lens
- Aperture settings
- Shutter speed settings
- ISO settings
- Colour balance
- Manual mode settings
- Composition rules and tips
- Learn to ‘see’ with a photographic eye
- Light – the main ingredient and how it works
WEEK 2: MASTER MANUAL MODE
Learning to Master Manual Mode is an ongoing and continuous process as a photographer. In this workshop, we begin by reinforcing the core aspects of manual mode, which are the key elements of creating an exposure, specifically, shutter speed, aperture and ISO. While certain modes can fully automate the camera exposure, there are other modes that let the photographer manually control some or all parameters - this is when it gets exciting.
You will come away with wonderful new skills that boost your technical and creative confidence.
- Overview of exposure; shutter, aperture and ISO
- Camera metering system
- Focus lock and focusing techniques
- White balance
- Easy shortcuts to manual settings
- Observation of quality and the direction of light
- Composition and the point of interest
- Understanding depth of field
- Tripods versus hand-held camera technics
- Using live view for composition
- How using manual mode can ignite the imagination
WEEK 3: FOCUS ON FLASH
The modern flash unit (speed light) is a sophisticated tool, which will help you create flattering photographs of people and still life objects alike. Following a brief discussion at the studio, we will set off through the laneways of Chippendale and to the modern courtyard of Central Park while we familiarise ourselves with the core menus of the flash unit and experiment with these functions and features. To demonstrate the principles of utilising flash we use still-life objects and each other to practice essential techniques like fill-flash, direct flash and bounce flash. We cover ‘rear curtain sync’ and ‘multi-flash’ techniques.
You will come away with wonderful new skills which will enhance the images you produce and take your enjoyment of photography to a new level.
- Overview of composition and shutter speed
- Flash menu system
- Observation of quality and the direction of light
- Key flash techniques - fill flash and bounce flash
- Creative features of the flash
- Less known features of the flash
- How to create flattering images of people and still life objects
- How to create beautiful images in low light
- Overriding the auto flash features
If it looks like there will be unbearable weather on the day, we will contact you early that morning to advise that the workshop will not operate. Otherwise, you should assume the workshop will operate as scheduled. In the event of cancellation, you can select an alternative workshop date.
Classes run every Sundays 9am-1pm (3-Consecutive Weeks) Set date when booking Please arrive 15 minutes before each lesson commences to ensure we start on time.
- Camera Essentials
- Master Manual Mode
- Focus on Flash
- TUTORS: A professional photographer and a photographer's assistant (subject to group size).
- Detailed Aperture Club course notes will be emailed on completion of each tutorial.
- Kits are available for hire if you want to experience the full functionality and excitement of using a professional photographers camera.
- Kits include a camera body and lens. The cost is $75. Kits are limited, so if interested, please book this when you book and confirm your workshop.
- A DSLR, or compact digital camera (that offers manual settings). This can include a Smart Phone with the appropriate apps to control settings. Please make sure you bring the manual in case you need to use it.
- A digital SLR camera, compact camera (with manual settings)
- Lens hood / cleaning cloth
- At least 1 Memory Card
- At least 1 set of spare batteries - fully charged
- Your camera manual
- Camera bag
- Drinks, meals / snacks
- Pubic transport / Parking
- Week 2 additional: Accessories such as lens hood / cleaning cloth
- Week 2 additional: Tripod (if you have one)
- Week 2 additional: Batteries and a spare (fully charged)
- Week 3 additional: Camera and flash (speed light)
Comfy walking shoes, Weather appropriate clothing, Sunscreen / hat
Vendor since 2015
The Aperture Club runs photography workshops and tours that allow you to develop your creativity, meet like-minded people and be part of an evolving exciting club with endless possibilities.
The Aperture Club is a social classroom of practical and interactive learning.
The various photography workshops, tours, day and weekend excursions are designed to create an environment that helps you think like a photographer, understand observation and learn to capture what you see.
Discover your passion or just becoming more knowledgeable with your camera.
Allow yourself to explore new techniques and to develop a new understanding of photography.
Being part of The Aperture Club also allows you to get away from regular life, spend uninterrupted time meeting new friends, identify your interests and enjoy the fun and adventure of photography.
We look forward to you growing with us…
Terms & Conditions
1). Registration and Payment
Full payment (and any associated extra’s and booking fees) must be paid in full at the time of booking to ensure your place on the photography workshop or special event.
2). Cancellation and Refund Policy
1. If a photography workshop or special event is cancelled by us, or re-scheduled due to bad weather or any other emergency you can re-book onto another scheduled date for the same workshop or special event. If no alternative date is available a refund will be provided and must be accepted a full and final settlement.
2. If you need to cancel a workshop or special event, this must be made in writing (email) and the following cancellations fees will apply;
a. If cancelled 15 days (or more) in advance of the workshop or special event date, the cancellation fee is 50%.
b. No refund is available if you cancel 14 days (or less) before the start date of the workshop or special event.
3. The Aperture Club is not responsible for any other costs which participants may incur including but not limited to travel, car rental, insurance, photographic purchases and/or rentals.
Through the course of the day, images of the group including individual participants may be taken and subsequently used for marketing of The Aperture Club. Please inform us prior to the photography workshop or special event if you prefer to be excluded from any images used to market The Aperture Club. Requests need to be made in writing (email) in advance of the workshop or special event start date.
4). Gift Vouchers – Conditions of Use
1. Gift vouchers are to be redeemed by person named on the voucher only and can be exchanged for any workshop or special event offered through The Aperture Club.
2. Gift vouchers can not be redeemable for cash.
3. Gift vouchers may be used as part or full payment for any workshop or special event. If the fees are more than the amount specified on the voucher the bearer of the voucher must pay the additional fees, being the difference between the value of the voucher and the total cost of the workshop or special event being booked. If the cost of the workshop or special event is less than the amount specified on the voucher, no refund is provided.
3. Gift Vouchers must be redeemed with 365 days of the date of purchase.
5). Workshop Schedule and Agenda
All photography workshops and special event schedules and plans are subject to change at our discretion depending upon, but not limited to, adverse weather, health and safety considerations, or any other factor as determined by us.
6). Limit of Liability
The Aperture Club; Sharon Hickey, Shane Rozario and Warren Smith accept no liability for death, illness, accident or injury or loss or damage to photo equipment or personal belongings during the course of any workshop or special event, or in transit thereto. We do not accept any responsibility for loss or additional expenses due to delay or changes in the services provided. We reserve the right to change our arrangements should conditions necessitate, or to cancel any aspect of the workshop or special event due to exceptional circumstances. The Aperture Club’s liability shall be limited to the total value of the workshop or special event. The Aperture Club is not liable for any indirect or consequential loss. By booking and paying for any workshop or special event offered by The Aperture Club, participants acknowledge that they are aware of the risks of personal injury and deem themselves physically capable of safely taking part in the workshop or special event. Further they release The Aperture Club, Sharon Hickey, Shane Rozario, Warren Smith, guest presenters, guest speakers, assistants, trainees and models from all liability for death, injury, illness, accident or loss of personal property or expenses associated with participation in the workshop or special event.
7). Your Agreement to this contract
In reserving a place on the photography workshop or special event and paying the appropriate fee/s, you agree to accept all of the above terms and conditions. The person who makes the booking does so on behalf of all of the individuals included in that booking; all are bound by the same terms and conditions.
For terms and conditions associated with a Meetup, please refer to the general ‘Terms and Conditions’ listed on the Meetup website, which you agreed to when you registered as a Member of Meetup.