Workshop Structure Overview:
- 10:00 – 10:30 Meet & Greet: Facility tour, allocation of plants, workshop materials and work spaces.
- 10:30 – 12:00 Introductory talk: Garden Layout ideas and plant life fundamentals - Inspiration short films & tutorials.
- 12:00 – 13:00 A series of short gardening demonstrations – Getting to know your plants.
- 13:00 – 14:00 Lunch Break
- 14:00 – 16:00 Assisted gardening time where you will be guided to build your own potted garden landscapes.
Description of the Workshop Activities:
- Learn the art of container gardening (gardening in pots) using a range of succulent plants and natural landscaping features in garden pots.
- Learn fundamental gardening techniques with fun and easy activities that teach; transplanting, plant propagation, repotting, tip and root pruning, moisture regulation, soil alternatives and garden design principals.
- You will be presented with an introductory slideshow talk and a series gardening tutorials.
- Learn skills for gardening on balconies
- Learn techniques for displaying collections of garden pots, dealing with fluctuating light/shade conditions, using plinths to build foreground/background.
- For those who rent! Begin collecting plants that can move with you until you find a permanent home and yard to plant in.
- Experience therapeutic benefits of gardening by attuning to plants and cycles of nature. Learn mindful gardening techniques, reduce daily stress and anxiety.
- These workshops are a wonderful way to meet new people or a good opportunity to take some time out for yourself.
About the Instructor Daniel Rosenbaum
A nursery owner and garden designer. Prior to working with plants Daniel lectured in Design at UNSW, UTS and TAFE. Daniel is interested in horticultural therapy and the restorative effects that nature have on human health. Daniel also enjoys hiking, camping, music and ice sculpting at the Icehotel in Sweden. Daniel’s ‘Botanic Art Studio’ and Nursery is based on the NSW far south coast near Tathra. Daniel has been promoting Botanic Art and Horticultural Therapy (HT) to nurseries, florists, and health care facilities in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. Daniel has developed guidelines and video tutorials showing ways to make gardening activities more ergonomic and easy to conduct.
- Learn the art of container gardening (gardening in pots) using a range of succulent plants and landscaping features, in a set of garden pots.
- Learn fundamental gardening techniques including; transplanting, plant propagation, re-potting, pruning and garden design principals.
- Learn how a collection of pot plants can expand to green an entire apartment balcony, attracting birds and providing an oasis for the nature spirt in you.
- All gardening materials required to create your own gardens are included.
- Soil, rocks, driftwood, mulch & more, is included in the price for you to build your garden pot set.
- You will be given a tray of mixed succulens grown specifically for these workshops. See photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPXRAqzjKB5/?taken-by=thegardenpotworkshop
- You will be given a 5 Piece Terracotta Pot Set. (See photo here) > https://www.instagram.com/p/BPPTbUnDaTo/?tagged=wtm_rosenbaumdesign
- To see see garden pots made by TheGardenPotWorkshop host, visit Instagram. #wtm_rosenbaumdesign
- You are welcome to bring your own small pots or special plants that you wish to use, however, all your your excess materials must be taken away at the end of the day.
- Option: You may decide to swap your tray of mixed sun variety succulents for a tray of shade succulent varieties more suitable for low light conditions. Consider the available sunlight/shade you have at home.
- More pots, planter boxes & rare succulents will be available for sale during lunch on the day. Prices vary from $10 - $90. Eftpos/cards not accepted.
- Comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing, covered footwear and sun hat
- Gardening gloves (optional)
- Lunch or money for canteen lunch near by
Casual comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing, covered footwear and sun hat
Gardening enthusiasts of all ages, including elderly and disabled (all gardening activities are wheel chair accessible). Also suitable for beginner gardeners, and people looking to deepen their knowledge in the art of gardening.
Vendor since 2016
The Garden Pot Workshop is a Plant Nursery and Botanic Art Studio run by Daniel Rosenbaum.
Daniel is a Horticulturalist and Environment Designer with a background teaching Design at universities in Sydney. His garden nursery began in 2010 as a Greening-City project that promotes the health benefits of gardening. Over the past 8 years the nursery has evolved into what is now a diverse collection of trees, ferns, vines, Australian Native plants and succulents.
Attending the Garden Pot Workshop is ideal for anyone wishing for an improved connection with nature and for those who enjoy creative hands-on projects that involve art, design and creating with natural and living materials. Gardening is also likely to involve interactions with other living creatures including spiders, ants, caterpillars & worms. Tips on how best to interact with these creatures will be available along with a vast wealth of Horticultural knowledge on the widest possible range of plants suitable for your outdoor garden, balcony or indoor apartment.
The wonders of gardening are vast and the daily discoveries found when establishing a range of plants are endless, marvelous and truly fascinating because they are living extensions of 'Mother Earth'.
Cities around the world are expanding and green spaces of wilderness have diminished in recent years. By build gardens in unused urban spaces we help to compensate the clearing of forests and wildlife habitat that is happening worldwide.
A small pot-plant has the potential to house an abundance of life and micro-organisms, a few worms, a spider, a snail or frog, a caterpillar, a meal for a bird, a home for a lizard, flowers for Bees, Fragrance to cherish the clean air long forgotten.
Learn to care for the Earth by starting your garden with a simple pot plant.
WELCOME to The Garden Pot Workshop.
The Garden Pot Workshop AUSTRALIA requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email The Garden Pot Workshop AUSTRALIA to organise a refund or transfer
No refund will be available in the event of rain, this workshop can be held in the under cover gardening area.
If a class is missed due to unforeseen circumstances students may be eligible to a partial (30% refund) which will cover the unused/included materials.