Workshop Structure Overview:
- 10:00 – 10:30 Meet & Greet: Facility tour, allocation of plants, workshop materials and work spaces.
- 10:30 – 12:00 Introductory talk: Garden Layout ideas and plant life fundamentals - Inspiration short films & tutorials.
- 12:00 – 13:00 A series of short gardening demonstrations – Getting to know your plants.
- 13:00 – 14:00 Lunch Break
- 14:00 – 16:00 Assisted gardening time where you will be guided to build your own potted garden landscapes.
Description of the Workshop Activities:
- Learn the art of container gardening (gardening in pots) using a range of succulent plants and natural landscaping features in garden pots.
- Learn fundamental gardening techniques with fun and easy activities that teach; transplanting, plant propagation, repotting, tip and root pruning, moisture regulation, soil alternatives and garden design principals.
- You will be presented with an introductory slideshow talk and a series gardening tutorials.
- Learn skills for gardening on balconies
- Learn techniques for displaying collections of garden pots, dealing with fluctuating light/shade conditions, using plinths to build foreground/background.
- For those who rent! Begin collecting plants that can move with you until you find a permanent home and yard to plant in.
- Experience therapeutic benefits of gardening by attuning to plants and cycles of nature. Learn mindful gardening techniques, reduce daily stress and anxiety.
- These workshops are a wonderful way to meet new people or a good opportunity to take some time out for yourself.
About the Instructor Daniel Rosenbaum
A nursery owner and garden designer. Prior to working with plants Daniel lectured in Design at UNSW, UTS and TAFE. Daniel is interested in horticultural therapy and the restorative effects that nature have on human health. Daniel also enjoys hiking, camping, music and ice sculpting at the Icehotel in Sweden. Daniel’s ‘Botanic Art Studio’ and Nursery is based on the NSW far south coast near Tathra. Daniel has been promoting Botanic Art and Horticultural Therapy (HT) to nurseries, florists, and health care facilities in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. Daniel has developed guidelines and video tutorials showing ways to make gardening activities more ergonomic and easy to conduct.
Duration: 6 Hours
- Learn the art of container gardening (gardening in pots) using a range of succulent plants and landscaping features, in a set of garden pots.
- Learn fundamental gardening techniques including; transplanting, plant propagation, re-potting, pruning and garden design principals.
- Learn how a collection of pot plants can expand to green an entire apartment balcony, attracting birds and providing an oasis for the nature spirt in you.
- All gardening materials required to create your own gardens are included.
- Soil, rocks, driftwood, mulch & more, is included in the price for you to build your garden pot set.
- You will be given a tray of mixed succulens grown specifically for these workshops. See photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPXRAqzjKB5/?taken-by=thegardenpotworkshop
- You will be given a 5 Piece Terracotta Pot Set. (See photo here) > https://www.instagram.com/p/BPPTbUnDaTo/?tagged=wtm_rosenbaumdesign
- To see see garden pots made by TheGardenPotWorkshop host, visit Instagram. #wtm_rosenbaumdesign
- You are welcome to bring your own small pots or special plants that you wish to use, however, all your your excess materials must be taken away at the end of the day.
- Option: You may decide to swap your tray of mixed sun variety succulents for a tray of shade succulent varieties more suitable for low light conditions. Consider the available sunlight/shade you have at home.
- More pots, planter boxes & rare succulents will be available for sale during lunch on the day. Prices vary from $10 - $90. Eftpos/cards not accepted.
- Comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing, covered footwear and sun hat
- Gardening gloves (optional)
- Lunch or money for canteen lunch near by
Casual comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing, covered footwear and sun hat
Gardening enthusiasts of all ages, including elderly and disabled (all gardening activities are wheel chair accessible). Also suitable for beginner gardeners, and people looking to deepen their knowledge in the art of gardening.
Vendor since 2016
Enabling ART with LIFE.
Rosenbaum Design is a Botanic Art Studio & Garden Nursery that facilitates human interaction with nature. Owner, Daniel Rosenbaum studied and lectured in Design & Ceramics at UNSW, UTS & TAFE. He also won an International Design Award (iDA2008) for hand-sculpted interior designs, at the Icehotel in Sweden.
Hail the Humble Pot Plant. Container gardens can be sculptural, bountiful, modules of life. Gardens can be seen as works of 3Dimensional art that expand, multiply, flower, change colors in autumn, produce berries, make perfume, provide shade, store water, create food and habitat for bugs, worms and birds. They bring green life to our cities & provide playful activity for our creative human nature.
For Container Garden inspiration visit: https://au.pinterest.com/rosenbaumdesign/container-garden-inspiration-the-garden-pot-worksh/
No refund will be available in the event of rain, this workshop can be held in the under cover gardening area the Telopea Centre.
If a class is missed due to unforsceen circumstances students may be eligable to a partial (50% refund) which will cover the unused/included materials. Or you may wish to collect the included plants and pots after class. If spaces are available you may reschedule your workshop booking for the next available class.