Woodfire and Salt Glaze Experience
‘Woodfire and Salt Glaze Experience’
Rob Barron from Gooseneck Pottery and Pie Bolton from The Kiln Room are thrilled to offer a fabulous ‘woodfire and salt glaze experience’.
Rob Barron has been making and firing pots for over fifty years – nearly forty of which have been creating pieces for his naborigama wood kiln at Gooseneck Pottery in Kardella, Victoria. The kiln is a massive beast with firebox and multiple chambers, the last chamber being a salt chamber.
Pie has assisted Rob in firing this kiln and loved every minute of the experience – as you all know she is obsessed with all kinds of firing (and ceramics in general).
The ‘woodfire and salt glaze experience’ will consist of five sessions. Two will be at The Kiln Room in Keysborough in Melbourne and three will be beside Rob’s naborigama at Gooseneck Pottery in Gippsland, just an hour and a half from Melbourne’s CBD.
Come and join Rob and Pie on this fabulous learning and hands on experience. There will be demonstrations, discussions, presentations, hands on making, preparation, firing and unpacking.
Of course, there will be the opportunity to have some work in the kiln! Attendees will be able to make work/bring work to put in the kiln (wood chambers and salt chamber).
- Session 1 - A day at The Kiln Room - Saturday 8th October 9am until 5pm
- Rob Barron throwing demonstration
- Centre large amounts of clay
- Techniques for making tall cylinders
- Throwing without the need to trim
- Pulling handles off the pot
- Quick and effective slab making and hand building
- Rob Barron Presentation - informing participants about the type of work that can emerge from this engaging and ancient process.
- Attendee participation - throwing and hand building work to put in the kiln (clay supplied)
- BYO lunch
- Tea, coffee and snacks available all day
- Rob Barron throwing demonstration
- Session 2 - An Evening at The Kiln Room - Tuesday 18th October 6.00pm until 9pm
- Discussion of decoration – wood and salt
- liner glazes, oxide and slip decoration of work, glaze (supplied)
- Q and A and discussion about the upcoming sessions
- Tea, coffee and snacks available all evening
- Session 3 One or Two Days (your choice) at Gooseneck - Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd October 11am until 4pm
- wood prep, kiln prep and packing, wad making, salt parcels
- bring your bisque pots to put in the kiln! Attendees should bring a milk crate worth of bisqued work to put in various spots in the kiln. Preferably not too much flatware.
- Your choice of one or two days - you can bunk in overnight in the cottage (bring own bedding, lilo, camp bed or swag) or you can arrange your own accommodation in the area at your cost
- Rob and Pie will put on a BBQ in the evening.
- Basic breakfast and lunch ingredients will be available – please bring your own food if you have special dietary requirements
- enjoy an evening around the campfire chatting about all things ceramic
- please bring a camp chair
- we will confirm the firing roster over the weekend
- Session 4 Firing at Gooseneck Saturday 5th to Tuesday 8th November
- The days will be rostered according to your availability
- A pot of soup will always be on the stove and ingredients to make toasties will be available. Please bring your own food if you have special dietary requirements. It will be a ‘help yourself situation’ as most concentration will be on the firing.
- We also like to have lots of snacks – sweet/savory which are regularly brought up to the kiln area for firers.
- Roster will be on around the clock
- bring a camp chair
- Session 5 at Gooseneck - Date to be advised (probably Saturday 19th November 11am until 3pm)
- come and pick up your work!
- unloading the kiln
- how to clean and prepare work from the wood firing
What you will learn
- Woodfiring - a hands on experience, rubbing shoulders with the experts.
What you will get
- A unique and immersive experience covering all aspects of woodfiring and salt glazing.
Plenty of parking 24/7 at both venues
What to bring
- • Apron, Notebook and pen, milk crate of bisqued work • raincoats and wet weather gear
What to wear
Please wear old and comfortable non flammable clothes and sturdy covered shoes/workboots. Tie hair back and remove dangling jewellery.
This session is suitable for those who are starting out in ceramics and those with some experience. Participants should be able to engage in physical tasks. The workshops at Gooseneck will be outside and surfaces are uneven.
The Kiln Room is a fully equipped ceramic studio offering technical pottery and ceramic classes and specialist ceramic experiences.
The Kiln Room is the brainchild of Pie Bolton. Her concept is the evolution of a studio, growing in facilities and services at the request of the ceramic community and wishing to build connections between artists. It aims to promote the sharing of knowledge and to embody the generosity of spirit of early ceramicists and potters.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at The Kiln Room or organised by The Kiln Room must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by The Kiln Room
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give The Kiln Room unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at The Kiln Room classes and events or on The Kiln Room premises and associated venues. (For use of The Kiln Room marketing materials).
Please choose your course dates carefully! We cannnot offer refunds, if you change your mind after you have made your booking, you can transfer the booking to a friend. This must be done before the course starts and we must be advised of this change. Once the course has begun there are no transfers.
Students uncertain of their ability to attend are encouraged to take out the Weteachme cancellation policy at checkout. This policy allows you to cancel and receive a full refund, including the insurance fee which is 10% of the class fee.
Please note that if a class/event/session does not fill with the required minimum number of participants it may be cancelled. In the event that a class is cancelled by The Kiln Room, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.