At a Glance
Xamarin is the choice for cross-platform development, not only in with mobile phone devices but also for wearables such as smart watches and also MAC OSX desktop applications. Leveraging the use of the C# language structure, developers are able to take their existing skillset and apply it directly to Xamarin.
As Xamarin converts the C# code so that it runs natively on the device, the performance from the application and responsiveness of the UI benefit.
Looking to the future, Xamarin has created a solution whereby any device that is created by a manufacturer can be written for without a reliance or dependency on web based technologies.
In the short term, the new Apple TV and the many IoT devices that are currently in development. Developing in Xamarin is the closest thing to maximum code reuse right after C++.
About this Course
In this short course, running 2 nights a week for 4 weeks, you will learn to code using Xamarin and the cross mobile Xamarin Forms UI framework. You will be building a Flight Tracker application that communicates with an API to display the location of a particular flight on a map.
Fast tracking the correct way to structure MVVM and bind this to the UI elements, you’ll gain real-world knowledge that can be applied now.
This course is designed to compliment the Xamarin University On-Line course that is available but provides an interactive class-room setting with like minded classmates.
You will also be able to tap into the collective knowledge and opinions of your peers as well as the course instructor.
Who Should Attend This Class?
Developers interested in learning Xamarin - If you answer yes to any of the following questions then the Xamarin Introduction short course is for you:
You want to build applications with Xamarin but don’t want to do it alone?
Are you working for a large company that is exploring Xamarin and needs to make an informed decision?
- Getting Started with Xamarin
- Understanding Xamarin Forms
- To use Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio (pros and cons)
- Extra third party tools
- Application structure and architecture
- Intro to MVVM
- How Navigation works
- Understanding Page Layout
- Take home activities
- Working with UI Components
- Working with Lists, Commands and Converters
- Working With Maps
- MVVM frameworks
- Take home activites
- Understanding and working with Images
- Wiring up Models and View Models
- API Calls
- Take home activities
- Custom Controls
- Customising your flight application
- Introduction to Advanced Custom Controls
- Q&A with class and facilitator
- Celebratory breakup drinks (!)
- Intro to Xamarin 1 hour introduction (recommended)
- A Xamarin license Indie, Business or Enterprise
- An understanding of the C# computer language
What To Bring
- You will need your own laptop for this course. MACs and PCs equally welcome.
- Xamarin already installed on laptop.
- Contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 9996 1257 to enquire about group bookings.
- On Campus, at Level 1, 20 Queen Street, Melbourne VIC 3000.
About The Instructor
Clinton Rocksmith is immensely passionate about Xamarin, MVVM and sharing his knowledge about the technology. He has worked for startups and established businesses, bringing his experience to improve mobile development.
He also runs the Melbourne Xamarin Meetup Group which meets every month at the Collective Campus and just very recently, he has co-founded Titanium Tech Pty Ltd to provide cross-mobile and app services for businesses that do not have the capacity to develop their own applications in-house.
When he is away from his computer, he can be found brewing beer, cycling long distances and enjoying time with his children.
Commencing Tuesday 22 September. This class takes place every Tuesday & Thursday night for 4 weeks. 6-8:30pm. $50 Deposit to Secure your Spot. Payment plans available. Email email@example.com for more details.
- How to develop applications using Xamarin
- Proper MVVM practices and how to structure applications for maximum code reuse
- How to build a real-world working application
- A completed application (Flight Tracking application)
- Real world knowledge of Xamarin Forms, XAML and Custom Controls
- Learn in a fun and dynamic environment complete with 80s arcade tables, Nerf guns, basketball hoops and coffee on demand!
- The right side of your brain
- A laptop (MAC or PC), we don't discriminate
Anything from jeans and chuck taylors to suits and ties. Innovation isn't dependent on dress code.
Developers, Programmers, C#, Cross Platform Developers
Vendor sincce 2015
Open Innovation Hub where Startups and Corporates alike can Learn, Connect, and Innovate - together.
Offering short, high-impact classes and workshops on Lean Startup, Digital Marketing, Data Science, Design Thinking and Agile Methodologies.
Disrupt yourself, before someone else does.