This intensive 4 day master class is a rare chance for beginning and seasoned blacksmiths to add to their knowledge and tool collection. The sledge hammer striking is a challenge for mind and body, your strength, fitness, and tool experience will empower your outcomes. Students will be guided through the process of making a wide variety of blacksmithing tools to add to your workshop and gain valuable insights into how to forge and modify tools to suit any projects you wish to work on. Many of the tools made in this course are hard to buy nowadays and even second hand ones are expensive if you can find them.
Over the duration of the masterclass students will make learn to make:
- Rounding hammer
- Top and bottom fullers
- Hammer eye tongs
- Cupping tool
- Hardy hot cut
- A variety of punches and drifts
All materials, lunch and snacks , insurance, use of tools and equipment, workshop consumables and safety gear.
- Forging many tools to take home
- Emphasis on the traditional fashion of forging with a striker
- Finishing and polishing of some tools with a linisher
- Heat treatment
- Handle fitment
- Morning tea and lunch provided. If you have any special dietary requirements please ensure you bring something that meets your needs.
- All materials will be provided for the completion of the tools including handles.
- Hearing, eye and respiratory protection will be provided or you may bring your own if they're suitable
4 consecutive sweaty days 9am to 5pm
- Develop tool-making skills to become a self sufficient blacksmith
- 2 and 4 person striking
- Extensive hand forging techniques including, tapering, punching, drifting, upsetting, fullering and more
- Create a collection of tools of the trade
- Work within a vestige of Australia's industrial past: the Eveleigh Locomotive Workshop
- Morning tea and lunch included
- A favorite hammer, gloves etc. if you so wish.
Please wear clothing appropriate for a workshop. This includes long pants and sleeves preferably natural fibre, solid shoes/boots
This class is designed for enthusiastic amateur blacksmiths as well as profesionals looking to expand their knowledge
Vendor sincce 2016
Learn the metal arts at Eveleigh Works in Redfern, Sydney. Get your hands dirty with our short courses in blacksmithing, knife and tool-making. Courses for newbies and old hands, instructed by practicing craftspeople within the heritage workshop of an 1880s locomotive factory.