Dumpling Making Party
For things to do in Richmond, you can't get more immersed in food culture than the Otao kitchen Dumpling Making Party. Learning to make dumplings is a true culinary escapade with beginning with making the perfect dough then learn how to shape your best dumplings, get inspiration for composing your gourmet Japanese, Vietnamese and Chinese menus. You will be making pork, chicken, beef or vegetarian dumplings. You will learn to shape different types of dumplings.
Love dumplings? In this hands-on class, learn to make your own Chinese dumpling dough and a mixture of choice! Join an expert chef to learn the art of making your own handmade dumplings. Eat some of your delicious dumplings in the class and take your creations home!
This ticket will be confirmed by email within 24 hours if seats are available.
- You’ll go away with full knowledge on how to make dumplings
- Taste your own delicious dumplings
- Enjoy the experience in a small and intimate group setting
- Learn tips and tricks for making dumplings and mixing ingredients
- Enjoy fun cooking, eating and social experiences
ON THE DAY
- This hands-on dumpling making experience lasts for 2 to 2.5 hours
- Enjoy a complimentary refresher drink on arrival
- Demonstration and dumpling-making and learn how to fold your favourite dumplings
- Steam your dumplings
- Sit and eat together at the end with a glass of sparkling wine
MENU AND INGREDIENTS
- Spices - Chilli, Spring onion, Shallots, Ginger, Chinese Chives
- Seasoning and Sauce - Soy Sauce, Red Vinegar, Hoisin, Fish Sauce, Chilli Oil, Rice Wine
- Vegetables - Wongbok, Mushroom, Water Chestnuts
- Vegetarian - Carrot, Peas, Carrot, Sweet Corn, Taro or Potato, Water Chestnuts
- Meats - Pork, Chicken, Beef
- Seafood - Fish and/or Prawn for non-meat eater *
- Plus dumpling skins - made from flour
What you will learn
- Learn how to prepare and present various popular street food preparations
- Taste a variety of delicious, and authentic street foods
- Enjoy this experience in a small and intimate group setting
What you will get
- Enjoy a complimentary refreshment upon arrival
- Prepare and cook a varied menu, utilising a wide range of techniques along the way
- Finish the class by tasting all of your creations with a glass of sparkling wine or beer
Otao Kitchen is located at 360 Victoria Street, Richmond, 3121 Victoria, AustraliaPublic Transport
We encourage you to travel on public transport. Please check with Public Transport Victoria (www.ptv.vic.gov.au or 1800 800 007) for train and tram timetables. Otao kitchen is accessible via train to North Richmond Station and/or tram; route 109 (Box Hill to Port Melbourne) and route 12 (St Kilda to Victoria Gardens) go along Victoria Street – you should disembark at stop 22. Route 78 (Prahran to Richmond) stops at the corner of Church and Victoria Streets and is only one block from Otao kitchen.
There is plenty of street parking available during the day on Victoria and surrounding streets, but most have a 1-2 hour parking limit. Sunday is free from 12pm. Please check the sign. Parking can also be limited depending on the day and time, so plan carefully. Alternatively, you can park your vehicle in Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre where 2 hours and more parking is available at reasonable rates. Otao Kitchen is just a short 5 minute walk from the Shopping Centre.
Bicycles can be stored and locked securely at the front of Otao kitchen’s property. If you need to park the bike in the back, please enter via the Victoria Street main entrance and arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your class so the bicycle can be stored without interruption to the class.
What to bring
What to wear
Comfortable clothing and closed toe shoes
Beginner and Advance cooks
Vendor since 2020
Otao kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
For online cooking classes and portal visit http://homecookinglive.com
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Otao kitchen requires at least 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise.
- Partial refunds. Otao kitchen has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Otao kitchen does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with Otao kitchen to send someone else in your place.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
Otao kitchen requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.