Writing and Illustrating a Picture Book Course
(+1 more date)
In this 10-week course for adults, you will be taken on a creative journey on how to write and illustrate your very own picture book for children. The immersive course will cover all areas used in the contemporary children's picture book industry including: How to gather ideas, develop your story through structuring and pacing, character design and storyboarding. Throughout the course, our facilitator will guide you through step-by-step illustration techniques that are catered to individual style and preferred medium of each student.
The course is designed to suit adults with all skill levels, even beginners.
Our course is kept exclusively to 5 attendees in order to allow maximum one on one time, as well as cater to the individual style of each student.
Topics to be covered in this course:
- Creative writing
- Setting up compositions
- Lighting and shadows
- Story structure, pacing and rhythm
- Experimentation of various art mediums
- Camera angles
- Character Design
- Character's expression and movement
- How to develop simple and effective ideas for your story
- Self-publishing process on how to turn your complete project into a physical printed book
The course is mentored and facilitated by award winning published children's book author and illustrator, Tull Suwannakit, whose books have been published in Australia,The UK and The US, as well as being translated into numerous languages throughout the world.
Visit:www.TullSuwannakit.net to see Tull's published books and illustrations.
What you will learn
- Learn the practical steps on how to create a story and illustrate for a children's picture book
- Explore picture book illustration techniques including line, form, colour and composition
- Develop concept, story, character and structure for your picture book project
What you will get
- Learn from an award winning published children's book author and illustrator, Tull Suwannakit. www.TullSuwannakit.net
- Basic art materials are provided to be used during the course (except for an A4 sketchbook and watercolour papers)
- your very own visual illustration portfolio created from the course
What to bring
- An A4 sketchbook for visual diary
- Watercolour papers (to be confirmed during the course)
- Student's preferred art medium (to be confirmed during the course)
What to wear
Malvern School of Art offers established visual art programs in Creative Drawing, Illustration and Sculpture, with classes catering to children, teens and adults . Our art academy is located in a spacious, light-filled mid-century building along the vibrant thoroughfare of Glenferrie Road. We base our teaching on the individual development and skills of each student in a structured yet flexible art curriculum that is transformative and progressive. Through the engaging and resourceful teaching methods, students fully explore and express their own artistic creativity, skills and style to realise each of their full potential.
Malvern School of Art is owned and facilitated by award winning children's book author and illustrator,
Tull Suwannakitr (www.TullSuwannakit.net)
Visit www.MalvernSchoolofArt.com.au to learn more about our school.
find us on Facebook @Malvern School of Art
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a transfer.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A transfer can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
-Please be advised that all fees are non-refundable once paid. In the event of an unforeseen emergency and you are no longer able to commit to the course/workshop as anticipated, please contact us at info@MalvernSchoolofArt.com.au at least 48 hours prior to the 1st day of the course/workshop for a full transfer to an alternative course cycle or workshop date. Please note that once the course has already commenced, we are unable to provide transfer of the remaining classes to a new cycle.
-If the teacher is unable to attend the lesson ( due to unforeseen circumstances), we will inform the students, parents or a designated adult contact, so as to arrange an alternate time and date for the lesson.
-Please note that classes will be conducted on Public holidays and long weekends, so please check your schedule before making a booking.