The ONA Coffee Barista program of courses is designed to open your eyes to the world of coffee, and lift your coffee making skills to the next level.
We will equip you with the technical skills to competently operate an espresso machine. The variables are endless, however, there are three main areas to focus on that can make or break a coffee from cup to cup; Extractions, Milk Stretching & Pouring. By the end of this course, you will have a greater understanding of the correct way to perform these skills.
This course is jam packed, but it sets the foundation for accelerated learning in becoming an expert barista.
The Barista // Level 1 // Barista Foundations course is perfect for anyone that loves coffee and wants to learn how to make a great cup. No prior experience is required, however having some experience making coffee at home will get you off to a great start.
- Green-bean journey comparing Arabica vs Robusta, Washed vs Dry Process & the journey taken prior to the café
- Introduction to the machine and grinder, safety warnings & how to achieve consistency with manual grinding & free-pouring shots
- Analysing the correct espresso volume, time, dose, aroma, taste & colour
- Correct dosing, distribution & tamping
- Fundamentals of ristretto vs espresso & extractions needed for all your favourite beverages
- Breaking down our two-stage approach of how to achieve silky milk
- Learn how to free-pour all your coffees to get the correct depths of foam & ideal ‘canvas’.
- Daily & weekly maintenance needed to maintain ideal machine performance
All classes are limited to 4 participants & you will receive a Certificate of Achievement at the completion of the class. If you would like to run a group session of more than four please contact email@example.com and we can arrange something special for you.
Non - English Courses // Our courses are primarily facilitated in English, however our team may be able to arrange a private session of 2 or more in alternative languages. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further.
ONA Coffee Trainers:
All ONA Coffee trainers are highly experienced in producing top quality coffee and are running courses designed Hugh Kelly; Australian Barista Champion 2016, 2017, 2021
What you will learn
- Foundation learning to becoming a barista
What you will get
- You will receive a Certificate of Achievement at the completion of the class.
- Hobbyist Barista Classes are limited to four participants.
What to bring
- Just your enthusiasm!
What to wear
Casual and closed in shoes.
If you have never used an espresso machine and grinder, home baristas, or if you are unsure on fundamental espresso and milk techniques.
ONA Coffee Sydney is a showcase coffee bar of Australian specialty coffee roaster, ONA Coffee.
Founded in 2008 by former World Barista Champion, Saša Šestic, ONA Coffee is dedicated to sharing amazing coffees from around the world, as well as the incredible stories and experiences of the people who grow them. We aim to transform the process of drinking coffee into an unforgettable experience.
ONA Coffee Sydney's training curriculum utilises the incredible baristas you see in store everyday to create informative and educational experiences that will lift your coffee making & tasting skills to the next level, no matter what stage you're at.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 2 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$7.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Please allow a minimum of 48 hours' prior to course commencement to transfer or cancel your course attendance, or you will forfeit your full course and booking fee.
If you wish to transfer to another course or cancel your booking, you must contact the ONA Sydney Team via email email@example.com more than 48 hours' prior to course commencement, for a course refund (please note you will forfeit the $7 booking fee!!)