Clay Club: Kid's Holiday 2xhalf-day pottery course
Want some cool clay fun for your children these holidays? Clay Club at Slow Clay Centre in Collingwood is the place to come! Our holiday Clay Club is run over two consecutive mornings, (see upcoming dates from drop down menu) 9.30am - 12.30pm. Children receive tuition and guidance in all aspects of making ceramics, including using the potter's wheel, in an atmosphere of fun and exploration.
Children at play need a variety of tactile experiences to learn about the complexity and richness of information the world has to offer. In this ever more technologically focused world it is easy for kids to miss out. Clay Club can help you bring them back down to earth (!) by offering pottery lessons providing a messy, muddy alternative for kids to express themselves. Open ended and exploratory in nature, Clay Club lessons provide a place for kids to come and have fun making things with clay. Kids can choose between collaborative and individual experiences and all will be offered the chance to work on a potterʼs wheel.
Slow Clay Centre teachers are mindful that childrenʼs time is often ﬁlled with pressure at schools that require outcomes. Clay Club is therefore focussed on the unique experience of working with clay: a plastic, responsive material that can be manipulated in many varying, exciting and very personal ways. We avoid precsriptive outcomes and prefer to focus on enjoyment of the material with a view to developing life-long learning.
The fee is inclusive of materials and firing. Finished work can be collected a few weeks later.
Age: 7 years and over. All levels welcome.
This class will run for 2 x morning sessions, 9.30am - 12.30.
Gift vouchers available!
This course takes place over two consecutive morning sessions from 9.30am - 12.30pm.
- use a pottery wheel
- make things by hand and sculptural techniques
- decorate and finish your clay creations!
- fun, fun, fun! Oh, and all your pieces will be glazed for you to collect a few weeks later!
- a personal drink bottle
- smock or old shirt to cover up
- Please DO NOT bring food unless consulting with us. Fruit will be provided. We have a no-nut policy.
comfortable non-white clothes or a smock with short sleeves
Kids who love to squeeze, twist, push and spin clay!
Vendor sincce 2013
Escape to Slow Clay Centre and learn the art of expression in clay. www.slowclay.com
Slow Clay Centre specialises in ceramics education and offers an extensive variety of ceramics and pottery classes throughout the year. Classes are offered on a weekly basis by the term, intensive weekends and short courses, and a rich variety of one-day guest artist workshops and forums. Catering for mostly adults, from beginners to the more skilled, we also have some kid's classes so everyone can learn the art of working with clay. Our enrolled students have priority to re-enrol each term and take advantage of our generous loyalty program providing free studio access (conditions apply). In this way we can help you to develop your skills to a high level.
Our unique "Slow Clay" method for teaching the pottery wheel, established by Slow Clay Centre director and ceramic artist Jane Sawyer, has been taught for more than twenty years. Based on the Japanese techniques Jane studied as an apprentice in Japan, in combination with western techniques, the "Slow Clay" method offers a synthesis of East and West. It provides ergonomic best-practice and a solid foundation for personal expression and confidence with clay. All our courses offer skill-based learning within a rich framework of art and design enquiry.
Based in a beautiful inner-city studio in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia, the Slow Clay team consists of leading professional ceramic artists and experienced teachers who offer high-level teaching in a broad variety of topics - see our web site for teacher profiles. Together with other invited professionals for guest artist workshops and forums, we are a vibrant community of enthusiasts.
No matter what level you are, we welcome you to Slow Clay Centre where you can follow your personal pathway with clay!
Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may share the love and transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me.
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes.
- Deposit or full payment (depending on the course) must be made at time of booking.
- Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course. Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me. If we can't fill your place you will forfeit your payment.
- Please note that making ceramics on the wheel can be a physically demanding activity and it is usual to feel a little stiff ititially. However, if you have any pre-existing or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, hips, neck, wrists or elbows we strongly advise you to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs. We ask you to fully disclose any prior and/or ongoing injuries that could affect you and your enrolment is acceptance that Slow Clay Centre and/or the company's employees, whether casual, contract, or permanently employed, are not responsible for any exacerbation of past or new injuries.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of our classes is strictly on education not studio production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students incur a firing fee based on a current cost of $9.50 per kg weight after gloss firing.
- Collection of fired pieces: Please understand that our storage is extremely limited. Students will be notified via email when work is ready to be collected. Work will only be retained for one month following this notification unless other arrangements are made.
Weekly classes: These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- All students have priority to re-enrol half way through one term for the following term.
- One missed lesson per term can be made up in any Studio Access Time (SAT) within the term you have booked.
- SATs are available to enrolled weekly students during term times, except those attending Porcelain classes. We offer Monday and Tuesday 12 - 3pm, and Friday and Saturdays 10am-1pm. Cost: $30 for up to three hours, unlimited clay. We reserve the right to cancel any sessions, without notice, that may conflict with other events, although we always try to post on our Facebook page 24 hours prior. Please check www.facebook/slowclay to avoid disappointment.
- Loyalty offer: Continuing students receive two SAT sessions per term FREE (worth $60 plus clay). Only available for enrolled students continuing from one term to another without a break and must be used within the term they are enrolled.
- Wheel classes: Students are allocated a 1200x200mm board for storage and must contain their work to that board for wet work in progress. Once pieces are dry it frees up more space on the board for new work.
- Students must name and code every piece before firing.
Regarding kids Clay Club: These apply to all Slow Clay Centre kids Clay Club classes.
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness or disability that may affect your child's involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please sign your children into each class and sign again on pick up.
- Please respect our teachers and be prompt to arrive and collect your children. Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early to class or leave your children more than 5 minutes later than the class end.
- Children are expected to be mature enough to work in a group together respecting everyone's needs and to be polite.