Take advantage of our sibling / friend discount!
Want some cool clay fun for your children these holidays? Clay Club at Slow Clay Centre in Collingwood is the place to come! Our holiday Clay Club is run over two consecutive mornings, (see upcoming dates from drop down menu) 9.30am - 12.30pm. Children receive tuition and guidance in all aspects of making ceramics, including using the potter's wheel, in an atmosphere of fun and exploration.
Children at play need a variety of tactile experiences to learn about the complexity and richness of information the world has to offer. In this ever more technologically focused world it is easy for kids to miss out. Clay Club can help you bring them back down to earth (!) by offering pottery lessons providing a messy, muddy alternative for kids to express themselves. Open ended and exploratory in nature, Clay Club lessons provide a place for kids to come and have fun making things with clay. Kids can choose between collaborative and individual experiences and all will be offered the chance to work on a potterʼs wheel.
Slow Clay Centre teachers are mindful that childrenʼs time is often ﬁlled with pressure at schools that require outcomes. Clay Club is therefore focussed on the unique experience of working with clay: a plastic, responsive material that can be manipulated in many varying, exciting and very personal ways. We avoid precsriptive outcomes and prefer to focus on enjoyment of the material with a view to developing life-long learning.
The fee is inclusive of materials and firing. Finished work can be collected a few weeks later.
Age: 8 years and over. All levels welcome.
This class will run for 2 x morning sessions, 9.30am - 12.30.
Gift vouchers available!
- use a pottery wheel
- make things by hand and sculptural techniques
- decorate and finish your clay creations!
- fun, fun, fun! Oh, and all your pieces will be glazed for you to collect a few weeks later!
- a personal drink bottle
- smock or old shirt to cover up
- Please DO NOT bring food unless consulting with us. Fruit will be provided. We have a no-nut policy.
comfortable non-white clothes or a smock with short sleeves
Kids who love to squeeze, twist, push and spin clay!
Vendor since 2013
Escape to Slow Clay Centre and learn the art, craft and design of expression in clay. www.slowclay.com
Slow Clay Centre specialises in ceramics education and offers an extensive variety of ceramics and pottery classes throughout the year. Classes are offered on a weekly basis by the term, intensive weekends and short courses, and a rich variety of one-day guest artist workshops and forums. Catering for mostly adults, from beginners to advanced, we also have a Professional Development Program for serious practitioners. And some kid's classes so everyone can learn the art of working with clay! Our enrolled students have priority to re-enrol each term and take advantage of our generous loyalty program providing free studio access (conditions apply). In this way we can help you to develop your skills to a high level.
Our unique "Slow Clay" method (TM) for teaching the pottery wheel, established by Slow Clay Centre director and ceramic artist Jane Sawyer, has been taught for more than twenty five years. Based on the Japanese techniques Jane studied as an apprentice in Japan, in combination with western techniques, the "Slow Clay" method offers a synthesis of East and West. It provides ergonomic best-practice and a solid foundation for personal expression and confidence with clay. All our courses offer skill-based learning within a rich framework of contemporary art and design enquiry.
Based in a beautiful inner-city studio in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia, the Slow Clay team consists of leading professional ceramic artists and experienced teachers who offer high-level teaching in a broad variety of topics - see our web site for teacher profiles. Together with other invited professionals for guest artist workshops and forums, we are a vibrant community of enthusiasts.
No matter what level you are, we welcome you to Slow Clay Centre where you can follow your personal pathway with clay!
Please choose carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may share the love and transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
Welcome to Slow Clay Centre!
We have some Terms & Conditions you need to know about:
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes/workshops/events:
- Deposit or full payment (depending on the course/workshop/event) must be made at the time of booking.
- Please choose carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, we can hold your payment in credit for up to 12 months for any future course (you must pay the difference if the price is higher).
- Please note: All students will receive a reminder three weeks before the start date with a link to pay the remaining balance with your credit card. Students who paid the deposit online will have the balance automatically deducted. Others will need to click on the link provided or ring our office on 99437844.
- Due to our limited class sizes, if your balance is not received three weeks before the start date we reserve the right to find a replacement student and if this is not possible we will keep your deposit.
Weekly classes: These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- Please note that making ceramics, particularly on the pottery wheel, can be a physically demanding activity. If you have any pre-existing illnesses and/or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, hips, neck, wrists or elbows we strongly advise you to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs.
- We ask that you fully disclose any prior and/or ongoing illnesses or injuries that could affect you IN WRITING BY EMAIL before you enrol.
- Your enrolment is conditional on your acceptance that Slow Clay Centre and/or the company's employees, whether casual, contract, or permanently employed, are indemnified against any exacerbation of any past or any new injuries.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is individually negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of our classes is strictly on education not studio production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students will incur a single firing fee based on the current cost of $10 per kg weight after gloss firing.(no charge for biqsue firing)
- Collection of fired pieces: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Students will be notified via email when work is ready to be collected. Work will only be retained for one month following this notification. No exceptions.
Regarding Kids Clay Club:
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness, allergy or disability that may affect your child's involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please respect our teachers and be prompt to arrive and collect your children. Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early to class or leave your children more than 5 minutes later than the class end.
- Children are expected to be mature enough to work in a group together, to respect everyone's needs and differences and to be polite.