Beginners Jewellery Making Course
(+5 more dates)
Our Beginners Jewellery Making Course is designed to teach you the fundamentals of jewellery making and design. Over seven weeks, you’ll learn everything you need to know about how to make your own silver ring. All tools and base metals are provided, as well as a strip of silver.
- Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
- How to size your ring
- Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
- Roller printing – learn how to impress directly on to metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand cut stencils and much more
- Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band
- Forming metal – how to shape and dome metal
- Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
- Patinate – use our special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
What you will learn
- Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band and other jewellery
- All the fundamentals of jewellery making you need to know to allow you to make your own silver ring plus more
- Cutting, texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
What you will get
- Base metal sheet and wire
- Sterling silver for your first ring
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to wear
All students must wear enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately
No previous experience in design or jewellery making is required.
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for our refund policy. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com.
Terms & Conditions
- Terms and Conditions 23/7/2021
SquarePeg Studios has been providing jewellery tuition at the highest level for over ten years. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide an excellent and diverse learning environment for our students. The following terms and conditions must be adhered to, to allow us to offer a professional learning environment.
The course fees must be paid in full or as a pay-in instalment plan on enrolment to secure a place.
SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class.
SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid to date. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the date of issue.
If a refund is preferred, the refund amount will be the fee paid less the 4.5% booking fee.
SquarePeg Studios will only process cancellations within one month before the start date if the students’ place can be filled. In that case;
SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid less the 5% administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the date of issue.
If a refund is preferred, the refund will be the fee paid less 9.5% booking and administration fee.
Additional terms and may apply to classes presented by guest tutors travelling from interstate or overseas. Details will be communicated on the course listing where applicable and as a part of the enrolment process.
SquarePeg Studios will facilitate transfers from one class to another more than one month before the original class start date at no charge. Transfers with less than one month notice before the original class start date will only be facilitated if the students’ place can be filled and will attract a 5% administration fee.
It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
If a course is oversubscribed or cancelled by SquarePeg Studios, SquarePeg Studios may refund the fee less the 4.5% non-refundable booking fee. Alternatively, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid to date. The student can use the credit note for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue.
Our courses are open to students 16 years and older.
Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older.
Some of our courses require prior learning. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
- COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 6th October 2021. Subject to change as per Government directives.
Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next date on which the course or workshop is scheduled and promptly notify the student of the change.
If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less 9.5% booking and administration fee.
Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors concerning physical distancing, wearing of masks and appropriate hygiene measures whilst attending SquarePeg Studios.
Students must not attend SquarePeg studios if they are unwell, have been in contact with a person who has tested positive to Covid-19 or returned from an Australian “hotspot” or from overseas within the past two weeks.
Conditions of enrolment are subject to change. SquarePeg Studios reserves the right to defer an enrolment and issue a credit note for fees paid to date if the enrolment does not meet the enrolment criteria at that time. This applies even in the case that the criterion has changed since the original booking was made. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less 9.5% booking and administration fee.