Intermediate Jewellery Making Intensive
The Intermediate and Continuing Jewellery Intensive are designed to allow students to progress their skills through the different stages of jewellery making, refining and adding new techniques to their repertoire. Your tutor assists you with design development, technical issues and problem-solving.
Students will expand upon the fundamentals of jewellery making and design and make pieces that incorporate sterling silver and stones such as synthetic rubies, emeralds, topaz and cubic zirconias.
The primary focus will be tube-setting stones. Tube setting is a technique that can be incorporated into a wide range of designs from delicate rings to more robust designs. Students are introduced to more advanced and complicated soldering tasks and also to the safe and effective use of the flex shaft paving the way for students to embark on more complex designs and professional finishes.
Students that have completed this Intermediate level class are able to move on to more advanced workshops such as our popular Gypsy setting workshop also led by Melanie Ihnen.
The pre-requisite for this course is our Beginners course or equivalent.
What you will learn
- Students will learn additional and more advanced soldering techniques such as sweat soldering
- Students will be introduced to the Flexi shaft for drilling and polishing
- Students will learn the versatile technique, Tube setting.
What you will get
- Base metal sheet and wire
- Silver strip, tube and stone for one ring. Additional silver and stones can be purchased at a reasonable rate during the class.
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- An apron
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
What to wear
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately
Perfect for those who have done our Beginners Jewellery Course and those who are continuing students
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.
More From SquarePeg Studios
Carve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and CastingCarve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and Casting
from AU$410.00Marrickville, NSWSun, 18 Jun 10:00AM (AEST) (+2 more)
Intermediate & Continuing Jewellery MakingIntermediate & Continuing Jewellery Making
AU$65.00Marrickville, NSWWed, 07 Jun 6:30PM (AEST) (+6 more)
3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects
from AU$445.00Live via ZoomWed, 06 Sep 6:30PM (AEST)
Hi Yang, thank you for your kind words. We are glad you had a great weekend and learned some new techniques. What's next for you? Perhaps UnEarthed Sand Casting Sapphires? 🔨💎 Team SquarePeg
Hi Kim, It's great to hear that this Intermediate Intensive help you build confidence while learning new techniques. That is precisely what this course aims to do! Thanks for the feedback, and we hope to see you again soon! 🔨💎 Team SquarePeg