Gypsy Setting | Gem Setting Workshop
Learn the beautiful technique of Gypsy stone setting with Melanie Ihnen in this, the latest addition to our stone setting workshops.
Also known as a flush mount setting, Gypsy setting is a valuable setting technique to add to your repertoire. This two day workshop is perfect for intermediate students who want to add to their skill set and learn an additional technique for adding colour, texture and sparkle to their work how to make and choose the tools to achieve this.
Our 2 day Gypsy setting workshop is a perfect introduction to setting small gemstones, and a great opportunity to build up your jewellery making repertoire. Intermediate level skills are needed for this workshop. All tools and equipment, base metals, a sterling silver ring, a sterling silver disc and the cubic zirconias required are provided. You just need to turn up ready to learn and create.
The aim of this workshop is to provide students with the confidence and skills to understand the process and requirements to securely Gypsy set smaller gemstones into their jewellery. Students will learn how to make the tools required to Gypsy set the stones and will be provided with a take home kit containing drill bits, burs and tools needed continue the practice after completion of the workshop.
Students will stone set a gorgeous sterling silver ring and if time permits a charm or earrings embellished with sparkling gems.
Melanie Ihnen. Melanie studied design at Newcastle TAFE and Jewellery and Object at Enmore Design Centre Sydney. She has since been a maker, teacher, curator and gallery director. Melanie has been teaching, exhibiting and practicing jewellery in Sydney for over 15 years and works in her studio in the CBD producing her hand made collections. Her signature works are influenced by geometric shapes, architecture and the subtle colour and tonal variations of metals. She employs the technique of Married metals working with various gold alloys and silver.
Why choose a Jewellery Making Course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.
What you will learn
- Learn how to make the burnishing, and other tools for Gypsy setting.
- Learn how to Gypsy set small gemstones.
- Learn how to accurately measure and select the correct tools for Gypsy setting.
What you will get
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper, burrs and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- A silver ring band, silver disc, cubic zirconias to complete pieces.
What to bring
- Covered shoes
- It is advised to bring your own lunch as there is not much time to go out to buy. lunch.
- A notebook and pen/pencil
What to wear
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately.
Perfect for those with Intermediate level jewellery making experience.
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.