The Ultimate Shirt-Making Sewing Course ✄✄✄
In the Shirtmaking course, you will learn how to craft a detailed shirt over the 12 hours. The pattern design features a collar with collar stand, double yoke, full button-up front and scooped narrow hem. Your choice of casual short sleeves, or long sleeves with cuffs
Trying a detailed pattern like this for the first time with a teacher will bring you confidence, help you overcome challenges and create a wonderful shirt.
- Measurements & size selection
- Pattern lay up, cut out & transfer markings
- Apply interfacing
- Create back pleat
- Assemble collar and collar stand (with understitching and topstitching)
- Construct shirt shell and topstitch double yoke (your yoke has a clean finish)
- Narrow hem the scooped hemline
- Attach front bands
- Attach collar
- Assemble and set-in sleeves with ease (long sleeve is two-piece with cuff, or choose a short sleeve with hem)
- Buttonholes and buttons (how to mark, how to use a one-step-buttonhole foot, how to sew on a button correctly and on which side!)
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
What you will learn
- Extensive techniques; collar with stand, plackets, cuffs...
- Interfacing, pleats and easing in sleeves
- Enclosed seams, one step buttonholes and narrow hemming
What you will get
- A classic button up shirt made by you
- Instructions and a copy of the pattern to make more shirts
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
What to bring
- 9 (or 15) x 1-2.5cm buttons
- .5 metre iron/fusible lightweight interfacing
- 1.8-2.3 metres of light weight to medium weight woven frantic
- Matching sewing machine thread
- .5 metres of light-mid weight fusible interfacing
What to wear
✄✄✄ Sewciopath!: You have been using sewing patterns you pick up at Spotty, buy online from indie designers or download and print. The garments you have been making are from a wide variety of woven and knit fabrics, including challenging materials like silk blends. You are keen to gain knowledge that will allow you to alter patterns, improve the fit of garments, achieve impressive results and learn couture sewing techniques.
Light to medium weight woven fabrics: crisp shirting, linen, lawn, flannel, gingham, poplin.
Learn to sew, craft and create with Thread Den.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew, craft and create. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to.
Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. Click here to sign-up.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
- A refund can be requested 1 day before class starts. An admin fee of AU$35.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 4 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 4 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - firstname.lastname@example.org . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through those annoying details.
The details of our refund policy appear during the booking process.
- If you are required to isolate, with the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/