In this 12 hour workshop, students learn how to take a garment made from woven fabric that you love and create a pattern from it. Click here to read about the difference between knits & wovens.
The first half of the course is learning how to draft a pattern from your favourite garment. In the second half you will make a toile of that garment to check the pattern drafting.
You could be making many versions of your favourite wardrobe item in all different colours! You'll have your pattern for ever.
You can expect to finish 1 pattern and 1 toile (mock-up) in the course timeframe.
Be easy on yourself and choose something simple for your first project. Not too many seams or details in the construction. Nothing made from knits fabric (we run this course separately for knits).
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
- How to make a pattern from a woven garment without pulling it apart
- Basic drafting techniques
- Making a toile
- Patternmaking paper and all the knowledge you need to make your toile (mockup)
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- A selection of 2 - 3 simple woven fabric garments to learn to make your pattern(s) from (please don't bring stretch/knit garments)
- 3 metres of light to medium weight cotton calico (or a cheap fabric similar to your garments to make your toile)
✄✄✄ Perfect for students who have used sewing patterns and made a few garments alike our Circle Skirt or Sigma Dress
Vendor since 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
- Notice given by student less than 48 hours before course start (or after start) = Forfeits the full course fee paid and receives no refund.
- Notice given by student with six (6) or less days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less a 50% cancellation fee.
- Notice given by student with seven (7) or more days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less an administration fee of $10.
In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled class and receive a full refund to the original payment method.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
- If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you will not be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Open Studio hours, or book a private lesson to catch up. Click here to enquire about a private lesson.
- Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
- We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card. Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.