In this 12 hour workshop, students learn how to take a garment made from woven fabric that you love and create a pattern from it. Click here to read about the difference between knits & wovens.
The first half of the course is learning how to draft a pattern from your favourite garment. In the second half you will make a toile of that garment to check the pattern drafting.
You could be making many versions of your favourite wardrobe item in all different colours! You'll have your pattern for ever.
You can expect to finish 1 pattern and 1 toile (mock-up) in the course timeframe.
Be easy on yourself and choose something simple for your first project. Not too many seams or details in the construction. Nothing made from knits fabric (we run this course separately for knits).
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
- How to make a pattern from a woven garment without pulling it apart
- Basic drafting techniques
- Making a toile
- Patternmaking paper and all the knowledge you need to make your toile (mockup)
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- A selection of 2 - 3 simple woven fabric garments to learn to make your pattern(s) from (please don't bring stretch/knit garments)
- 3 metres of light to medium weight cotton calico (or a cheap fabric similar to your garments to make your toile)
✄✄✄ Perfect for students who have used sewing patterns and made a few garments alike our Circle Skirt or Sigma Dress
Vendor since 2013
Learn to sew and make your own clothes.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here.
Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
Cancellations or Request for Change:
- Participants may request a transfer to their booking without penalty up until seven (7) days prior to the course or workshop start date.
- Participants cancelling their booking up until seven (7) days prior to the course or workshop start date will receive a refund less a $10 administration fee.
- Requests to change received less than 7 days before an event will incur a 30% administration fee (including GST).
- Requests to cancel received less than 7 days before an event will receive a partial refund – incurring a 30% administration fee (including GST).
- Cancellation or requests to transfer received the day before, the day of, or after a course start will not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
- Bookings (without date changes) are fully transferrable to another person without incurring any penalty.
Notice periods above are based on your original booking date, if a transfer has been made, the notice periods do not reset.
Any refunds are made to the original method of payment.
Last updated 22nd May 2019.
This policy is available for viewing on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/
We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card.
Unfortunately, we can’t tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
The full terms and conditions are available on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/