Leggings or Bike Shorts Sewing Workshop ✄✄
Just 3 hours and you'll make a pair of leggings! Leggings are versatile, layer-able, and above all, comfortable. The secret weapon for Melbourne's famous four seasons in one-day weather!
With only ONE pattern piece, this is a great pattern to whip up fast! The leggings have an elastic waist, you'll use various stretch stitches on the sewing machine and use overlockers if you wish.
Leggings are all about fabric choice. Look for a really stretchy knit that is a blend of both natural and synthetic fibres. Read this article - Mood Fabrics best fabrics for leggings. We wrote this guide to help you out too - Thread Den Leggings Guide.
- Taking measurements
- Assessing a fabric's percentage of stretch
- Selecting the pattern size to make
- Lay up pattern pieces
- Cut out fabric
- Setting up and adjusting the machine for stretch stitches
- Leggings side seams with stretch stitches
- Creating a waist casing
- Inserting an elastic waistband
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
What you will learn
- Understanding how knit fabric behaves, the needles to select and equipment required
- Measurements, choosing the right size when working with knit, pattern markings and pattern placement
- Use overlockers (optional) and sewing machine stretch stitches
What you will get
- A pair of leggings made by you!
- A copy of the pattern and detailed instructions
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
What to bring
- Gutermann polyester sewing machine thread - we recommend Gutermann Sew-All Polyester Sewing Thread
- Elastic 2.5 cm wide - & long enough to go around your waist (look for high-density elastic - usually sold on a roll)
- 1.5 metres of really stretchy knit that is a blend of natural and synthetic fibres
What to wear
✄✄ Perfect for students who have participated in "The Complete Guide to Sewing Knits/Stretch Course". Intermediate Sewing Star: This sewing thing is really growing on you! You can follow a suggested layout and have now worked with a variety of woven fabrics, maybe even your first knits. You've stepped up to using patterns for simple garments like basic skirts, pants and tops. You've sewn a dart, inserted a basic zip and have finished edges with an overlocker.
Double brushed poly or fleece lined poly, athletic performance fabric,
Learn to sew, craft and create with Thread Den.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew, craft and create. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to.
Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. Click here to sign-up.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
- A refund can be requested 1 day before class starts. An admin fee of AU$35.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 4 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 4 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - firstname.lastname@example.org . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through those annoying details.
The details of our refund policy appear during the booking process.
- If you are required to isolate, with the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/