No clue how to start drawing a coloured portrait? Are you unsure which pencils to use, or how to achieve the right skin tones?
Unlike graphite pencils, drawing in colour requires an understanding of colour theory and understanding how different colours blend together. Colour portraits may seem complicated and intimidating, but watch as all your fears diminish in this 3-hour workshop where you’ll learn just how simple it really is!
Discover the self-taught techniques behind Vanessa Vanderhaven’s realistic illustrations in this Saturday morning workshop, where you'll learn the foundations of drawing a coloured portrait. By the end of the workshop, you'll leave with a gorgeously detailed piece to be proud of!
Through live demonstration, we'll dig into:
- Getting proportions spot-on: the simple way to outline a face
- Choosing colours for your artwork: working with a minimal selection of colours (because colour pencils are expensive!)
- Drawing fine details: the easy way to drawing itty bitty details
- Basic colour blending techniques: the basic theory explained
- Adding your own creative flair: drawing in your own unique style
- My personal tips and tricks for that pop-off-the-page factor!
Limited tickets are available as we like to keep each class small so that each student gets individual attention on their work.
- Skills & techniques for drawing in a realistic style
- Applying those techniques to a new portrait from start to finish
- Unique tips and tricks!
- Use of drawing materials (paper, pencils, erasers, blending tools etc.)
- Feel free to bring along any colour pencils you’d like to use. We will be working with a minimal palette of 4-5 colours but you’re welcome to use more colours if you have them!
Wear what makes you feel wonderful.
This workshop is suitable for absolute beginners, through to advanced. No matter your skill level, you will walk away having learnt a new way to illustrate detail and draw faces unique to you.
Vendor since 2017
Creators Handbook is about being part of a community that appreciates and supports the freelancing artist. It’s about learning new art skills and techniques, and doing so at your own pace. Whether you’re a student, a mother, a business owner (or all 3!), this is the place to sit down with a cup of coffee or a sketchbook, and let the creativity flow.
Vanessa Vanderhaven is a self-taught freelance illustrator and designer based in Melbourne. As the founder and captain of the mothership, her number 1 priority is to deliver on her promise of high quality lessons, helpful articles and support for each and every member.
If you have an enquiry or would just like to say hello, please shoot through an email to email@example.com. Or if you’d like to learn more about Vanessa, you can visit her website www.vanessavanderhaven.com.
Creator's Handbook requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email Creator's Handbook to organise a refund or transfer
Ticket refunds can be made up until 1 week before the course begins.