Beginners Photography Course 1
(+4 more dates)
This class is ideal for new DSLR or mirrorless camera owners, as well as those who are returning to photography. This practical class has no boring lectures—less physics and more photography.
The Class Covers
- What button does what? What do the letters mean?
- Auto, Semi-auto, or Manual? Why don't we leave it in Auto?
- Different focus settings and areas
Understanding Aperture and Shutter Controls
- What is an aperture number, and how is it changed?
- Using aperture controls to change our photographs.
- How aperture changes with different lenses.
- Setting your camera for fast or slow speeds.
- When to use slow speeds and when to use fast ones.
- How shutter speeds can be affected by lens choice.
Understanding Exposure, Flash, and Low Light Photography
- How your camera "reads" light/Problems with light and how to fix them.
- The fast, easy ways to fix exposure problems. Using your camera in very low light. When using your pop-up, flash is an advantage.
- Freezing water using your pop-up flash.
- Softening your flash when taking portraits.
- All classes are designed to follow Government Covid safe guidelines. Bookings are fully refundable if Government health restrictions change.
What you will learn
- How to use all of their camera controls not just the manual ones
- How changing the cameras aperture and shutter can create stunning images
- Using the features of a modern digital camera to create beautiful images
What you will get
- A knowlege of how their own camera works, not just generic controls
- Course notes and follow up advice - Small class (Maximum four people)
- Local venues with great photographic possibilities
What to bring
- Camera, Cards and notepad and an eagerness to learn
What to wear
Open to everyone interested!
Who am I
My name is Alwyn Hanson, I have been teaching photography for over 30 years in Melbourne. I have worked with and taught over 30,000 people including new users as well as training groups such as Victoria Police, MFB and many Government Departments.
I believe in teaching photography in a simple, logical way rather than boring lectures. My classes are short, practical and complete. Most are three hours long (My experience is longer classes don't always achieve good results)
I teach photography and software based on classes that have run with great success in my previous position as manager of Michaels Media School in the Melbourne CBD.
I am passionate about teaching and want you to use YOUR camera to take great photos.
I can teach you in a class or if you prefer at your home, cafe or local park.
You tell me what you want and I can make it happen.
Why Alwyns Photo School is different.
We believe in working WITH all the special features on the camera,NOT turning them all off and going manual. The camera companies have spent millions in development, so why reinvent the wheel. We can teach YOU how to take great photos on YOUR own digital camera.
Alwyns Photo School, making great photography easier.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions
Classes are based on a Maximum of Four Students, in the unlikely event that the minimum number of bookings is not reached we will organise either an alternative date, offer and alternative class option or offer a full refund.
Outdoor workshops and events are subject to Weather if bad Weather is forecast (Based on BOM forecasts 48 hours ahead) we will offer an alternative date, or an alternative class option or offer a full refund.