Learn the foundation skills of the world's oldest trade in 2 days. Master hand-forging techniques and apply your new skills to forge your own household fixtures. You will have your own work area in the historical Eveleigh Locomotive Workshops and use your assigned coal or gas forge, anvil, blacksmithing tongs, hammers and several specialty blacksmithing tools.
You will learn how to be a striker for your partner blacksmith, this is an old tradition in blacksmithing where people cooperate to forge a project. You will have the opportunity to direct your own job as a blacksmith and use a sledge hammer to strike for other students.
The machinery and tools used are refurbished heritage pieces of equipment dating from as far back as the 1880s. We want people to get to know Eveleigh by making things within it’s walls, using its machinery and having fun.
- Develop an understanding of how to a gas furnace to heat steel.
- Become familiar with parts of the anvil and how they can be used.
- Use of various hand forging techniques including: tapering, bending, riveting, fullering and finishing.
- Work safely in a group environment with other blacksmiths.
- Gain an understanding of some generally used steels and alloys.
The finished works can include several artistic features to customize the appearance and ensure each job is individual. Various techniques will be demonstrated to help you gain an understanding of what is possible and from there you can work toward your own custom design.
Gift vouchers are posted using Regular post. If you have purchased a gift voucher and would like Express Post, this will incur an extra fee. To arrange Express Post please email Matt at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use of various hand forging techniques including: tapering, bending, twisting, riveting, fullering and finishing
- Become acquainted with the parts and use of an anvil
- Learn the aspects of safely heating steel using a gas furnace
- All materials needed for completion are included in the class fee
- Safety gear including: leather blacksmithing aprons, eye protection and ear plugs will be provided (or can be brought in if preferred)
- Students will take home some custom forged wall hanging coat hooks
Please wear clothing appropriate for a workshop. This includes long pants and sleeves preferably natural fibre, solid shoes/boots
All with an interest in blacksmithing, aged 15 and up.
Vendor since 2016
Learn the metal arts at Eveleigh Works in Redfern, Sydney. Get your hands dirty with our short courses in blacksmithing, knife and tool-making. Courses for newbies and old hands, instructed by practicing craftspeople within the heritage workshop of an 1880s locomotive factory.