SCA Brewing - Foundation (1 Day) $600
The SCA Brewing Foundation course introduces you to the different methods of brewing coffee. You will receive theoretical and practical hands-on instruction for a range of devices including automatic and manual gravity brewers, as well as immersion and hybrid brewers. You will also explore how to produce a tasty brew based on an understanding of the essential brewing elements and tasting the results.
You will learn:
- Basic information of different coffee species, origins, processes and roasts.
- Brewing ratios for producing the ideal cup of coffee.
- The basics of the 6 different brewing methods - Drip Filter; Immersion; Pressure; Vacuum; Boiling; and Percolation.
- An introduction to how grind size, brewing time, temperature and turbulence affect extraction.
- An introduction to how brewed coffee and your equipment are affected by water quality.
- How to apply your brewing skills to at least 2 manual devices (e.g. V60, French Press, Aeropress), and an automatic brewer.
Students who successfully complete the online exam after the course will receive the internationally recognised SCA Brewing Foundation certification. SCA Brewing Foundation certification earns credit towards the SCA Café Diploma, SCA Roastery Diploma, SCA Coffee Trade Diploma, and SCA Sustainable Coffee Diploma.
What you will learn
- How to brew tasty coffee with at least 2 manual brewing methods (e.g. V60, French Press, Chemex, Syphon), to SCAE Gold Cup Standard
- Basic understanding of the effect of grind size, brewing time, temperature & turbulence.
- Information on different species, origins, processes, and roasts.
What you will get
- Access to the world’s leading coffee education program
- Detailed course notes
What to bring
- Your interest to learn!
What to wear
Anyone interested in manual brewing.
Genovese Coffee has been in coffee for 3 generations, and we have over 60 years of experience.
We offer a range of courses to suit new or experienced baristas, as well as those who want to improve their home espresso. All of our courses have practical, detailed theory, as well as activities so you can apply your skills during the course.
Our courses are led by award winning, highly experienced, and internationally certified professionals who make it easy for you to understand coffee in our certified SCA Premier Training Campus, with state of the art espresso, brewing, and roasting equipment, located close to Melbourne’s CBD.
For those wanting to take their coffee career to the next level, we also offer the world’s only internationally recognised coffee education program – The Specialty Coffee Association Coffee Skills Program, including Roasting; Sensory Skills; Green Coffee; Barista Skills; and Brewing.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$20.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested anytime before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
We appreciate your choice of Genovese Coffee for your coffee education, and our course pricing reflects the following:
- The quality of the training provided.
- Pre-class preparation.
- The quality of the equipment & the cost of materials used.
- Small class sizes.
- The ongoing development of our trainers.
Once your booking is confirmed and your payment is cleared, we begin the process of preparing your class. Although we understand events or illness may require that you reschedule or cancel your booking, our refund and rescheduling policy reflects the costs incurred in the preparation of the scheduled class.