Jewellery Summer School for Beginners
The Jewellery Summer School for Beginners introduces students to jewellery fundamentals during this 3-day summer school. Students learn all the techniques they need to design and create a sterling silver ring as well as another project such as earrings or a pendant.
What do students learn?
Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
How to size your ring
Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
Roller printing – learn how to impress directly on metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand-cut stencils and much more
Soldering – using professional jewellery torches, students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band.
Forming metal – how to shape and dome metal
Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
Patinate – use our special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design.
What you will learn
- How to hand-make silver jewellery
- Learn all the fundamentals of jewellery making in this fun intensive 3 day jewellery course.
- This course is a perfect introduction to jewellery making and jewellery design.
What you will get
- Base metal sheet and wire
- Sterling silver for your first ring
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to bring
- An apron
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- A notebook and pen/pencil
What to wear
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be hot in summer (we have fans) so please dress appropriately and bring along plenty of water.
For those starting out on their jewellery making journey!
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.
More From SquarePeg Studios
All Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making AtelierAll Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making Atelier
from AU$720.00Marrickville, NSWThu, 07 Sep 10:00AM (AEST) (+1 more)
Carve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and CastingCarve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and Casting
from AU$410.00Marrickville, NSWSun, 18 Jun 10:00AM (AEST) (+2 more)
Other classes you might like
Paint a Pop Art Portrait on CanvasPaint a Pop Art Portrait on Canvas
AU$84.00Live via ZoomSun, 18 Jun 1:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Paint a Tote Bag: CatPaint a Tote Bag: Cat
AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 16 Jul 1:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Paint a Tote Bag: DogPaint a Tote Bag: Dog
AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 06 Aug 3:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Learn How to Bake Alfajores BiscuitsLearn How to Bake Alfajores Biscuits
from AU$99.00Live via ZoomFri, 16 Jun 6:30PM (AEST) (+6 more)Accepts private bookings
Beginner Learn to Sew Workshop - One day!Beginner Learn to Sew Workshop - One day!
AU$170.00Marrickville, NSWSat, 17 Jun 10:00AM (AEST)
Watercolour with It Hao Pheh (Zoom)-Single SessionWatercolour with It Hao Pheh (Zoom)-Single Session
AU$26.00Live via ZoomThu, 15 Jun 1:30PM (AEST) (+11 more)
Make Watercolour Bird PostcardsMake Watercolour Bird Postcards
AU$80.00Live via ZoomWed, 09 Aug 6:45PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
AU$79.00Live via ZoomTue, 25 Jul 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Mandala Canvas ArtMandala Canvas Art
AU$88.00Live via ZoomWed, 19 Jul 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Quilt Coat WorkshopQuilt Coat Workshop
Hello Amanda, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it. Take care. Warmest regards from us at SPS.
Hello Loreena, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it. Take care. Warmest regards from us at SPS.
Hello Morgan, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it. Take care. Warmest regards from us at SPS.