Carve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and Casting
The Wax Carving and Casting Workshop is an intensive two-day jewellery making course during which students will learn about the process of lost wax casting and experiment with a variety of wax working techniques. Students will make two wax rings (or another piece after discussion with the tutor). Students will be guided through a technical project as well as an experimental project.
Best of all, the course allows for plenty of time to experimentation – and with tips and tricks from a professional jeweller. Our aim is to provide you with the skills and techniques you need to continue to develop your practice at home.
WHAT IS LOST WAX CASTING?
Lost wax carving is a traditional technique used in jewellery making and sculpture. A model is carved or shaped in wax and is then cast. To do this the wax model is ‘sprued’ to a wax tree, put into a special container and then filled with investment plaster. Once dry the investment plaster containing the wax model is put in a kiln, and the waxes are ‘burnt out’, leaving the space in the plaster where the model used to be. Molten melted is then injected into the space at high pressure and then allowed to cool. The plaster is then broken up to reveal the metal piece, which will then be cleaned and finished.
Guided technical project
Students will learn how to carve jewellery wax to make a ring to size. Students will learn to how to measure, mark up and make a carved wax ring. Students will learn technical terms, tools used and what they do. They will gain a good base understanding of tools and materials needed to continue working with wax. The techniques learnt here are ones that can be used at home to make wax models for jewellery.
Students will be introduced to other types of waxes including mouldable wax and sheet wax. Students can make a ring using these processes or a second carved wax piece.
The tutor will demonstrate how to prepare a wax model from hard wax which will be cast trough out the week for completion in sterling silver in week two.
On day two, students will receive their cast ring (or possibly 2) back from the casters and will spend the morning cutting off the metal sprue and filing and finishing their metal piece.
WHAT YOU'LL MAKE
We take the waxes to our casters to be cast and you can choose from a variety of metals (eg sterling silver, brass, bronze etc) The cost of your ring depends on it’s weight and the cost of the metal you choose on the day its cast. Students usually spend between $30 and $70 on casting, but this is dependent on how chunky it is and what metal is selected.
THE SECOND STAGE
Once the rings are cast, they come back to the students for sprue removal, filing and finishing.
AND FINALLY, THE FINISHED RINGS
In week two students work on their cast rings until they're finished.
What you will learn
- Students will be introduced to a variety of wax working techniques, including carving and mouldable wax forming.
- On day one, students will have the opportunity to experiment with hard wax and make a carved wax ring that will be cast by a commercial caster.
- On day two, students will clean up the castings and also learn additional tips and tricks for making wax models.
What you will get
- All wax materials for experimentation and for the wax rings
- The use of all tools and consumables
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits for morning and afternoon tea
- We take your wax rings to the casters in time for the second class. We will weigh your rings and let you know an approximate price for each piece, depending on the metal selected
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- An apron
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- Cash for the casting (usually $20 – $70 per piece dependent on metal and weight)
What to wear
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately.
Perfect for those with jewellery experience and those starting out on their jewellery making journey.
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.