The 4-day Weekend Beginners over two weekends is a perfect introduction to jewellery making and jewellery design. All tools and base metals are provided, as well as a strip of silver for your work. This course is designed to allow students to progress through the out-set stages of jewellery making. Your tutor Vanessa Samuels will assist you with design development, technical issues and problem-solving. There is no pre-requisite for this course.
Weekend Beginner students will learn a range of fundamental techniques over the 4 full days of the course and students will make a textured ring band for practice, followed by a sterling silver piece of their own design. Processes focusing on forming and texturing such as doming, embossing and stamping will be learnt to aid inspiration.
The aim of this course is to provide students with the confidence and skills to work on individual projects while gaining a greater depth of understanding of jewellery making techniques and jewellery design starting from the ground up.
What do students learn?
Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
How to size your ring
Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
Roller printing – learn how to impress directly on to metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand cut stencils and much more
Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band
Forming metal – how to shape and dome metal
Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
Patinate – use a special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
Polish – refine and perfect the surface finish of your design
Many of our students produce outstanding work and continue to specialised workshops such as Stone Setting or Wax Carving and Casting. This course also enable the student to progress to more advanced level courses such as Intermediate One Jewellery Making Course and our Jewellery Making Atelier
MEET YOUR TUTOR
Melanie studied design at Newcastle TAFE and Jewellery and Object at Enmore Design Centre Sydney. She has since been a maker, teacher, curator and gallery director. Melanie has been teaching, exhibiting and practicing jewellery in Sydney for over 15 years and works in her studio in the CBD producing her hand made collections. Her signature works are influenced by geometric shapes, architecture and the subtle colour and tonal variations of metals. She employs the technique of Married metals working with various gold alloys and silver.
What you will learn
- Learn all the fundamentals of jewellery making in this fun intensive jewellery course.
- Over 4 full weekend days, you’ll learn everything you need to know about how to make your own silver ring.
- Develop your design in consultation with your tutor
What you will get
- Base metal sheet and wire
- Sterling silver for your first ring
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to bring
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- A notebook and pen/pencil
What to wear
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we do have some heating) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately
For those starting out on their jewellery making journey!
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.