Wax Carving for Jewels - Stone Setting Workshop
(+1 more date)
Wax Carving for Jewels - Sculptural Stone Setting Workshop
In this four-day jewellery making workshop students will be introduced to carving waxes to make stone-set jewellery.
On days one and two students will have the opportunity to make a ring, pendant or earrings with a bezel setting in wax that will be professionally cast in time for the second week of the workshop. Making settings for rough-cut stones will also be explored during days one and two of the workshop.
On days three and four students will learn how to clean up their cast pieces, prepare them for setting, and how to set their stones. Students will also have the opportunity to solder onto their castings to attach claws or extra bezels, particularly if they are working with rough-cut stones.
This jewellery making workshop is designed to provide students who have attended the 'Carve Your own Silver Ring- Wax Workshop' at SquarePeg Studios with greater skills, enabling them to make a unique piece of stone set jewellery - created by their own hand!
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Wax Carving for Jewels - Sculptural Stone Setting Workshop is an intensive four-day jewellery making course during which students will learn about the process of making waxes for stone settings. Students will make a wax for a bezel-set ring, pendant or earrings (or another piece after discussion with the tutor). Students will be guided through technical as well as experimental techniques.
Best of all, the course allows plenty of time for experimentation. Our aim is to provide you with the skills and techniques you need to continue to develop your practice at home.
Guided technical project:
Students will learn to how to measure, mark up and make a carved wax ring, pendant or pair of earrings incorporating a gemstone. Students will learn technical terms, tools used and what they do, they will gain a good base understanding of the tools and materials needed to continue working with wax alongside how to set stones. The techniques learned here are ones that can be used at home to make wax models for jewellery..
What you will make:
We take the waxes to our professional cast house to be cast and you can choose from a variety of metals for your work to be made in (eg sterling silver).
The cost of your piece depends on its weight and the cost of the metal you choose on the day it is cast.
Students usually spend between $30 and $70 on casting, but this is dependent on how weighty the design is, and what metal is selected.
What is included:
All wax materials for experimentation and for the wax ring, pendant or earring design
One semi-precious cabochon cut stone
The use of all tools and consumables
A selection of teas, coffee and delish biscuits for morning and afternoon tea
We take your wax rings to be cast in time for the second set of classes
We weigh your pieces and let you know an approximate price for each piece. This is calculated reliant on the cost of the metal selected for the casting of your piece
What you need to bring:
Students may wish to bring their own stones for discussion or use in their project TAKE NOTE! - no fragile stones such as opals can be used. If in doubt of the suitability of the stone you wish to incorporate in your design, please get in touch with us at SquarePeg Studios for clarification.
A notebook and pen/pencil
Cash for the cost of the casting of your work - payable on the second weekend of the course (usually $20 – $70 per piece dependent on the metal selected and weight of the work)
Your ideas and creativity!
What you will learn
- Students will be introduced to a variety of wax working techniques, including carving and mouldable wax forming.
- On day one, students will have the opportunity to experiment with different types of wax and make two wax rings that will be cast by a commercial caster.
- On day two, students will clean up the castings and also learn additional tips and tricks for making wax models.
What you will get
- All wax materials for experimentation and for the wax rings
- The use of all tools and consumables
- Tea or coffee and delish biscuits for morning and afternoon tea
- We take your wax rings to be cast in time for the second class. We will weigh your rings and let you know an approximate price for each piece, depending on the metal selected
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- An apron
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- Cash for the casting (usually $20 – $70 per piece dependent on metal and weight)
What to wear
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately.
Perfect for those with jewellery experience and those starting out on their jewellery making journey.
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.
More From SquarePeg Studios
All Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making AtelierAll Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making Atelier
from AU$720.00Marrickville, NSWThu, 07 Sep 10:00AM (AEST) (+1 more)
Gypsy Setting | Gem Setting WorkshopGypsy Setting | Gem Setting Workshop
from AU$480.00Marrickville, NSWSat, 16 Sep 10:00AM (AEST)
Other classes you might like
Kawandi Quilt as you go classKawandi Quilt as you go class
AU$165.00Marrickville, NSWSun, 27 Aug 10:00AM (AEST)
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
AU$79.00Live via ZoomTue, 25 Jul 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Intro to Vintage Fashion IllustrationsIntro to Vintage Fashion Illustrations
AU$78.00Live via ZoomWed, 12 Jul 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Make Watercolour Bird PostcardsMake Watercolour Bird Postcards
AU$80.00Live via ZoomWed, 09 Aug 6:45PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Li’l Crafters Term 2 Friday casual classLi’l Crafters Term 2 Friday casual class
AU$28.00Marrickville, NSWFri, 16 Jun 10:00AM (AEST) (+1 more)
Graffiti Drawing Course for KidsGraffiti Drawing Course for Kids
AU$175.00Live via ZoomSun, 09 Jul 3:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Sew your own JeansSew your own Jeans
AU$350.00Marrickville, NSWSat, 12 Aug 9:30AM (AEST)
Graffiti Drawing for KidsGraffiti Drawing for Kids
AU$57.00Live via ZoomTue, 08 Aug 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Harry Potter Wand Making for all!Harry Potter Wand Making for all!
AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 02 Jul 2:00PM (AEST)
Learn to Make Rhinestone PortraitsLearn to Make Rhinestone Portraits
AU$80.00Live via ZoomWed, 21 Jun 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Hi Alix, thank you for your very kind words. We are so happy to hear about your wonderful experience with Mel. We are so lucky to have her as a part of the SquarePeg team. Lovely to hear you also enjoyed the classroom studio. We look forward to seeing you again soon. 🔨💎 Team SquarePeg
Hi Kim, Thank you once again for leaving such lovely feedback. We are always stoked to hear our students have a great time learning new skills. What's next for you, we wonder? 🔨💎 Team SquarePeg