The Speech School
All Classes by The Speech School
About The Speech School
The Speech School
The Speech School provides an after school public speaking course to students in Years 2-6. Our weekly classes provide students with ongoing opportunities to learn, practise and refine the art of public speaking in a welcoming, creative and fun environment.
There are a wide range of speaking-based activities and games that will cover the key components of preparing and presenting speeches, delivering prose, poetry, storytelling, debating, monologues, impromptu speeches and theatre skills.
The school caters for everyone and provides time for students to practise and improve the vital skill of public speaking. We aim for these skills to stay with students throughout their school years and their lives.
Teachers have completed 8th Grade Speech and Drama Trinity College London along with the Speech and Drama Trinity College London Diploma or are studying to do so. Coaches are experienced in debating to Senior School level.
What you can expect
- Your child’s confidence and attitude towards Public Speaking and general social interaction to improve
- Successful experiences developing positive attitudes
- Encourages students to take developmental steps they are comfortable with and doesn’t force fearful speakers
- Teaches stagecraft awareness including hand gestures, eye contact and speaking stance
- Uses creative speaking games to help overcome fears and build confidence
- Holds smaller class sizes which seek to help students feel more comfortable when presenting
- Teaches how to effectively use voice projection and expression when speaking to an audience
- Addresses the importance of pitch, pace, pause and emphasis to create an interesting, dynamic speech
- Gives student feedback to ensure skills develop and progress
- Provides opportunity to present impromptu and theatre skills
- Introduces speech writing
- Introduces basic rules and roles of debating
- Provides opportunities for team debates
- Gives practical tools needed to give persuasive presentations
- The Speech School encourages students to enter and participate in the Speaking Category of the Sydney Eisteddfod should they wish to and facilitates and supports students in their preparations
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
- A refund can be requested 1 day before class starts. Free of charge.
Terms & Conditions
The Speech School reserves the right to change advertised programming and price at any time. Refunds for term classes are only offered when cancelling before the commencement of term. Refunds or makeup lessons for missed classes are not offered. We refund for late starts to the term (missed lessons), extended illness and extended travel. The Speech School accepts no responsibility for classes missed because after care services were not notified via the proper channels. After care services cannot release your child to speech class without parent permission each term.
The Speech School reserves the right to cancel a student’s enrolment without notice if their behaviour is too disruptive. Students must be collected from class and cannot be released alone except via written arrangement. Parents are responsible for communicating any student special needs prior to The Speech School classes and supply adequate medical treatment plans if needed. This may include asthma puffers, antihistamines, Epipens. Please do not send your child to class if they are unwell.