Mix and match texture and patterns and to create your own curated cushions. An easy way to add personality to your living room or bedroom and add designer detail.
In the Cushion Workshop, you will make a cover to fit a 45cm/18" square cushion insert over 3 hours. This is an ideal workshop if you've just taken our Sewing Basics for Beginners Course.
Never inserted an invisible zip? This is a great little project to learn this practical skill.
This step-by-step class designed for your very first project after the Sewing Basics for Beginners Course.
- Fabric preparation
- Pattern lay up and tracing out
- Cutting technique
- Overlocking to finish raw edges
- Sewing machine threading and adjustments refresher
- Inserting an invisible zip
- Clipping corners
- Optional - inserting decorative trims
If you are confident and want a challenge bring along the optional trim and learn how to insert it into the seams of your cushion.
What you will learn
- Change your life and learn to sew in an invisible zip!
- Finishing edges with an overlocker
- Intermediate students - challenge yourself with by inserting trims into your seams
What you will get
- Confidence inserting invisible zips! and a handmade cushion cover.
- Sewing instructions for many more cushion covers
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
What to bring
- Matching sewing machine thread
- Optional - 2 metres of trim (with generous tapes)
- 45cm square cushion insert
- .5 metres of medium weight cotton woven fabric (at least 1m wide)
- Matching 45cm+ closed end invisible zip
What to wear
✄ Budding Sewing Enthusiasts: You've been dipping your toes into the seductive world of sewing by making accessories and homewares from stable woven fabrics. Threading your sewing machine is getting familiar (maybe you are still double checking a couple of things in the manual). Sewing at seam allowance isn't a foreign concept. You have followed basic patterns and instructions. Terms like grainline and selvedge are not unfamiliar to you.
Learn to sew, craft and create with Thread Den.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew, craft and create. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to.
Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. Click here to sign-up.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
- A refund can be requested 1 day before class starts. An admin fee of AU$35.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 4 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 4 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - email@example.com . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through those annoying details.
The details of our refund policy appear during the booking process.
- If you are required to isolate, with the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/