Crochet Basics for Beginners Course
Learn multiple stitches & techniques in 3 weeks
by Thread Den
We have developed a course that will explain all the elements of crochet. You'll get a great complete guide to terminology, tools, yarn weights and types, how to hold your hands, reading patterns, making swatches to check your tension/gauge and of course creating all the basic crochet stitches.
Crochet is a language of its own, but a language that also differs from the UK to the US. In an eternal battle between metric and imperial, singles vs doubles (and we don't mean tennis), letters vs sizes, weight vs ply... it is enough to leave you curled in the corner of the yarn department rocking back and forth. But we are here to demystify this crazy confusion and leave you with an addiction to crochet!
Over the three weekly workshops, you will also receive extensive class notes that will provide you with a reference tool that you can come back to time and time again.
What you'll be making:
- Workshop 1: While demystifying the language of crochet, you'll make a chain stitch necklace/scarf
- Workshop 2: A fruity pot holder. Show off your new skills in the kitchen!
- Workshop 3: A tri-coloured scarf
Start learning now; read about crochet hook sizing - click here.
- Learn all the basic crochet stitches, work in rows and rounds, change colours
- How to decipher UK & US terminology, read patterns
- All about yarn types, the variety of hooks, tension/gauge and working swatches... and much, much more
- Detailed class notes that will arm you with an extensive reference tool
- A chain necklace, fruity pot holder and tri-coloured scarf all made by you!
- Patterns and instructions to make each item again
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Week 1: 9mm hook & a ball of chunky wool yarn
- Week 2: 6mm hook & two 50gm balls of 10 ply cotton/wool yarn in fruity colours
- Week 3: 4.5mm hook & three balls of 8 ply wool yarn each a different colour
This is perfect for an absolute crochet beginner
Crochet hooks with rubber handles are more expensive, but SUPER comfortable to crochet with.
Vendor since 2013
Learn to sew, craft and create with Thread Den. Workshops offered face-to-face and online.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
Thread Den has developed a teaching model that is supportive and nurturing, designed to make each student feel like the focus of our attention, whether you learn with us face-to-face or online.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew, craft and create. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to.
Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. Click here to sign-up.
Refer to the Terms & Conditions for our Refund Policy.
For face-to-face workshop s - if you feel unwell, do not attend your workshop. With the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- All refunds are subject to a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds will only be processed back to the original method of payment.
- Refunds are processed as soon as practicable. While Thread Den’s part of the process should be undertaken within three days of notice, the combination of the bookings platform and your banking institution’s processes will also influence the exact amount of time taken for you to receive the refund.
Cancelling Your Booking
- If you no longer wish to attend a workshop, we require notice at least 24 hours or more prior to commencement. It is essential that you receive an acknowledgment from us as well.
- The Refund Policy will be applied.
- No refund, transfer or credit will be supplied if you have made a cancellation request the day before, the day of, or any time after a course start.
Transferring Your Booking
- If you wish to transfer your booking to another workshop we require at least four days notice prior to the start date of your original booking.
- Bookings without date changes can be transferred to another person without incurring any penalties.
- Changes to your workshop or the commencement date (within all other terms) will incur a $10 administration fee.
- Changes to your booking date will not reset the four day notice period.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- If you feel unwell, do not attend your workshop. With the supply of a medical certificate or copy of a COVID-19 testing referral, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers.
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course. In the event of a cancellation, students will be notified two days before the scheduled start date and refunds will be provided.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/