Circle Skirt Sewing Course ✄✄
Over 7.5 hours learn how to make a full circle skirt on a waistband and with POCKETS.
Learn how to handle such a large piece of fabric and to manipulate the challenging behaviour - especially through the areas affected by the fabric's bias. Learning to sew through the bias angles of the fabric is a great way to hone your skills. This is a great choice if you have made a simple garment previously like an A-Line Skirt or PJ Pants.
This skirt features a waistband, POCKETS, invisible zip and a button. While making the skirt you will learn to handle the bias of the fabric, use overlockers, an invisible zip foot and buttonhole foot, as well as how to fuse interfacing and why do you hang a circle skirt before hemming?
- Taking measurements and size selection
- Lay up pattern pieces and decide skirt length
- Trace and cut out the fabric
- Overlock side seams
- Reminders on threading and adjusting the sewing machine
- Learn to Insert an invisible zip
- Attaching pockets
- Sewing side seams
- Hang your skirt and allow the hem to settle
- Prepare the waistband
- Attaching the waistband
- Stitching a one-step-buttonhole
- Sewing on a button
- Hemming for professional results
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
What you will learn
- Insert an invisible zip
- Attach a waistband, one step buttonhole and hemming
- Fusing interfacing and using an overlocker
What you will get
- A circle skirt made by you!
- A copy of the pattern and detail instructions
- In the event of a Lockdown, all workshops are moved ahead by 7 days. We try to minimise the impact on our timetable, but usually, all workshops (even those that were not scheduled during the Lockdown timeframe) move ahead by 7 days.
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
What to bring
- 1 button up to 2.5cm in diameter
- .3 metres of light weight interfacing
- Fabric Width >140cm = 1.8 metres woven mid-weight fabric, width <140 = 3 metres
- 18cm+ invisible closed end zip
What to wear
✄✄ Intermediate Sewing Star: This sewing thing is really growing on you! You can follow a suggested layout and have now worked with a variety of woven fabrics, maybe even your first knits. You've stepped up to using patterns for simple garments like basic skirts, pants and tops. You've sewn a dart, inserted a basic zip and have finished edges with an overlocker. If you want to take this course at an ADVANCED level ✄✄✄; select satin/silk blends or slippery/sheer/stretchy fabrics.
This pattern is not suitable for knit, obvious directional print, geometrics & stripes. Satin/silk, sheer or stretchy fabrics are advanced.
Learn to sew, craft and create with Thread Den.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew, craft and create. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to.
Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. Click here to sign-up.
Cancellations & Refunds
See Terms & Conditions.
Terms & Conditions
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - they are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - firstname.lastname@example.org . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through these annoying details. Here's the stuff that is often hidden behind an *asterisk* or in teeeeenie little print:
- All refunds are subject to a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds will only be processed back to the original method of payment.
- Refunds are processed as soon as practicable. While Thread Den’s part of the process should be undertaken within three days of notice, the combination of the bookings platform and your banking institution’s processes will also influence the exact amount of time taken for you to receive the refund.
Transferring Your Booking
- If you wish to transfer your booking to another workshop we require at least four days notice prior to the start date of your original workshop/course booking.
- Bookings without date changes can be transferred to another person without incurring any penalties.
- Changes to your workshop or the commencement date (within all other terms listed here) will incur a $10 administration fee.
- Changes to your booking date will not reset the four day notice period.
- If you are required to isolate, with the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course. In the event of a cancellation, students will be notified two days before the scheduled start date and refunds will be provided.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/