Beginner Learn to Sew Workshop - One day!
(+1 more date)
So, you’ve decided you’d like to learn how to sew? And you’ve a new sewing machine? But don’t know where to start?
Bring along your machine and I will show you how to thread it, practise stitching and make a project just for you. Once armed with the confidence to use your machine, this course will give you the oomph to work on lots of projects.
As this is an absolute beginner lesson, we will take it slow and begin with sewing simple piece, a Tote Bag.
Firstly, we take around 1.5hours to learn how your machine works, thread it and practice stitching. We then take these new skills to begin making up a project, a super useful Tote Bag. The skills learnt here can include making seams, zig zag edging and top stitching.
Skill level: Complete beginner - bring your machine in the box!
What you will learn
- What all those knobs do
- How to change your needle, how to thread both the bobbin and the machine and to troubleshoot basic machine problems
- Sew basic straight stitches to the seam allowance and zig zag the edges
What you will get
- 5 hours of expert tuition with only 3-6 students in the class
- Sewing Pattern with instructions to take home
- One spool of Gutermann quality thread
During the week, parking can be tricky. It is often best to stop at our door and bring your machine in and then find a park.
During the weekend, there is usually lots of parking on Jabez Street or Shepherd Street.
We are serviced by the M30, 423, 426 and 428 bus.
We are approx 20min walk from Sydenham or Stanmore Station
What to bring
- Your machine (nice and clean with all it's power cords and the foot pedal) & your fabric scissors and sewing kit
- Your lunch - a fridge, microwave and sandwich is available
- One metre of thick cotton fabric - at Spotlight it is called Duck Canvas or Canvas. And all Ikea fabric is perfect. Don’t stress if you can't get to the shops, you can purchase from our store on the day, via cash or card!
What to wear
Wear comfy clothes and shoes!
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
- A refund can be requested 2 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 48 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 48 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Usefulbox Sewing School or organised by Usefulbox Sewing School must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Usefulbox Sewing School
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Usefulbox Sewing School unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Usefulbox Sewing School classes and events or on Usefulbox Sewing School premises. (For use of Usefulbox Sewing School marketing materials).