Discover Wheel Throwing - Mon PM - TERM CLASS
(+1 more date)
Term 3 2023: Monday 10th July - Monday 4th September.
Term 4 2023: Monday 2nd October - Monday 27th November.
Time: 6.30pm - 8.30pm
Tutor: Mary-lou Pittard
Placements are limited to 10 per class. Placements will be properly opened to the public one month before the beginning of term.
**NDIS is now available under "Request Private Date & Time"** This function is still developing with We Teach Me and any questions or need assistance how this function works please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Spend your Monday evenings in the creative space of our mud brick studio, being introduced to the potter's wheel. Our experienced, engaging and friendly tutor, Mary-lou Pittard, will help you discover (or perhaps rediscover) the art of forming ceramic vessels. This course runs for 8 weeks, for two hours on a Monday evening.
Initially you will be taught to understand the basic nature of clay as a material with an easy to understand scientific basis. Then quickly move onto the techniques of wedging, centering on the wheel & correctly using the tools and resources in the studio. You will be taught to make the foundation forms of cylinders and bowls, how to finish your work by turning and trimming and finally an in depth introduction to decorating and glazing your pots.
This 8 week course will teach you how to make pieces, turning, trimming and finishing and includes an in-depth introduction to glazing.
Why Clay Talk?
Our class sizes are small so you can develop your skills, find your individual style and learn at your own pace. Clay Talk @ Montsalvat’s spacious and beautifully designed ceramic studio is a great space to tap into your creativity.
What you will learn
- How to prepare your clay, centre it on the wheel and step-by-step throwing skills for making simple vessel forms such as cylinders and bowls
- How to finish your work by turning and trimming.
- Introductory skills in glazing and firing
What you will get
- 10kg of clay to start you off
- Use of wheels and all other studio equipment
- The vessels you throw glazed and fired
What to bring
- Clay took kit (available for purchase during checkout or from any art supply store)
What to wear
Casual / older clothes and covered or closed-in shoes - clay can get messy!
Anyone interested in learning ceramics and wants to develop their techniques. You may have never touched clay before, want a refresher course or are keen to build your skills that bit further.
The Clay Talk Ceramics Centre in Montsalvat is a ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building at all stages of development supplemented by specialist programs and workshops taught by established artists.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To secure your place in a class, course or workshop we require full payment at the time of booking.
Bookings are only accepted through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Payment of class, course or workshop fees can only be made through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Clay Talk studio is located on the grounds of Montsalvat. For this reason there are security measures in place to prevent trespassing and maintain your safety. Upon booking you should receive an Information Kit which has instructions on how to access Clay Talk studio.
REFUNDS / ABSENCE / TRANSFERS
- We DO NOT offer refunds or transfers if you change your mind. Please be sure you are able to commit to the class, course or workshop dates and times prior to booking.
- We do not offer 'make-up classes'. We might be able to offer alternative arrangements if you cannot attend class by contacting us at email@example.com to check if you are eligible within 5 working days of missing your class . Retrospective requests will not be accepted. Studio Access times are NOT make-up classes.
- Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel a class due to unforeseen circumstances such as insufficient enrolments. You will be notified prior to the class if cancellation of the class is deemed necessary and a pro-rata refund will be provided.
In the event of a lockdown or restrictions causing unavoidable or unforeseen interruption to the delivery of classes and workshops Clay Talk will endeavour to provide rescheduled classes and workshops.
In the event that students cannot attend the classes, students must email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible prior to the commencement of the rescheduled class or workshop. If a student is unable to attend the rescheduled classes or workshop Clay Talk may, at its absolute discretion, provide either a credit note or a pro-rata refund (minus an administration fee of 10%).
Gift vouchers are only available through our online portal www.claytalk.weteachme.com/. Gift vouchers can be purchased for a minimum of $20 and are valid for 3 years from purchase. Gift vouchers can be only be used for booking classes, courses and/or workshops at Clay Talk through our online portal. Gift vouchers can be applied at check out when booking a class, course or workshop.
FIRING OF WORK
Most workshops include firing and glazing of a specific number of pieces. Check the workshop listing description on our online platform. Students participating in one-off workshops must label their pieces with the name associated with their booking/ticket.
We take extreme care with your work but accidents do happen and we are unable to guarantee that your work will be successfully fired. Clay Talk takes no responsibility for failure or breakage of work.
- Firing of 2.5kg of finished work per student is included in the term class fee.
- Students can make and fire more work over this limit however additional charges apply.
- Students must label each of their pieces with their Makers Mark (your Makers Mark is made up of the initials of your first, middle & last name and your class code e.g. John Adam Smith = JAS). No Makers Mark will mean your work will not be fired.
If a kiln shelf is badly damaged from your work due to incorrect glaze type or clay body, you will be charged for the cost of replacing that shelf.
- If your work damages the interior of the kiln, you will be required to pay a fine based on the severity of the damage to be determined by the Clay Talk Studio Coordinator.
COLLECTION OF WORK
- Firing, glazing and packaging of your work takes approximately 2-4 weeks after your class/workshop.
- You will be notified by email when your work is ready for collection.
- Student work must be collected within 1 month of being notified. Students will be notified by email to the email address provided upon booking. If fired work, leftover clay and/or tools are not collected within this time it will be disposed of or donated to Clay Talk Fundraising.
More From Clay Talk Ceramic Centre
Handbuilding with Mary-lou Pittard - TERM CLASSHandbuilding with Mary-lou Pittard - TERM CLASS
AU$630.00Eltham, VICTue, 11 Jul 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Other classes you might like
Graffiti Drawing for KidsGraffiti Drawing for Kids
AU$57.00Live via ZoomTue, 08 Aug 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Anime and Manga Drawing Course for All!Anime and Manga Drawing Course for All!
AU$155.00Live via ZoomSun, 06 Aug 1:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Zentangle Potrait ArtZentangle Potrait Art
AU$60.00Live via ZoomThu, 03 Aug 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Graffiti Drawing Course for KidsGraffiti Drawing Course for Kids
AU$175.00Live via ZoomSun, 09 Jul 3:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Make Watercolour Bird PostcardsMake Watercolour Bird Postcards
AU$80.00Live via ZoomWed, 09 Aug 6:45PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Create a Comic BookCreate a Comic Book
AU$55.00Live via ZoomWed, 14 Jun 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects
from AU$445.00Live via ZoomWed, 06 Sep 6:30PM (AEST)
Francesca's Flower ClubFrancesca's Flower Club
AU$135.00Facebook LiveFri, 07 Jul 1:30PM (AEST) (+5 more)
Learn to Make Rhinestone PortraitsLearn to Make Rhinestone Portraits
AU$80.00Live via ZoomWed, 21 Jun 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Harry Potter Wand Making for all!Harry Potter Wand Making for all!
AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 02 Jul 2:00PM (AEST)