Come and learn how to make silver jewellery.
Each Stage is a six week course with a three hour class per week. Each Stage costs $460.00 (including GST) and new skills are learned at each Stage.
Skills covered include sawing, soldering and filing, basic gem setting, shaping with punches, polishing and use of equipment and new skills are learned at each stage. The projects for each stage are designed to progress skill development for basic jewellery making.
Stage 1 students will make a cabochon gem set silver ring and a range of other samples. Materials and equipment are provided for all stage 1 students.
Stage 2 students will consolidate the skills developed in stage 1 and will make a silver linked toggle bracelet.
Stage 3 students will further advance their skills and make two sided domed pierced hollow pendant, initially in brass and if time allows in silver (chain included). Students will design their pendant.
Students will receive a certificate of completion for each finished stage.
The silver for stage 2 and 3 projects can be purchased from the studio.
Stage 4 to 8 projects will follow on from stage 3 to further consolidate and advance your jewellery making skills. Details can be found under bookings for "Consolidate and Advance Jewellery Making Skills Stages 4 to 8."
Classes are run on Saturday morning (9am to 1pm ) , Wednesday (10 am to 1pm ) and evening (5.30pm to 8.30pm ) in six week blocks.Note: In 2018,there will be Thursday morning and evening classes and no classes will be held on a Wednesday.
Each Stage comprises a three hour class per week over six weeks. Note: There are no classes on the 25 and 27 Jan, Australia Day and 29 and 31 March, Easter.
- Come and learn how to make silver jewellery in stages to develop basic jewellery making skills.
- Stage 1 students will learn how to make a silver and gemstone ring and a range of other samples.
- Stage 2 students will lean to make a silver toggle bracelet and Stage 3 students a two sided pierced hollow pendant.
- Your project jewellery.
- Materials and equipment are provided for all stage 1 students, including silver. Stage 2 and 3 students can purchase silver from the studio.
- Jewellery making skills including sawing, soldering, filing, basic gem setting, bale making and polishing and experience with a range of tools and equipment.
- Your interest to learn!
- Any drawings and visual research especially for Stage 3.
- An apron if you have one. There are spare aprons at the studio.
Closed in shoes,tee shirt,long pants/jeans and long hair tied back. The dress code is for your safety.
No experience necessary for stage one students. Stage 2 and 3 students must have had pervious experience in jewellery making.
Vendor sincce 2016
We are a contemporary jewellery studio and gallery run by local jeweller Philip Noakes, who has over forty years experience in making and teaching in the industry. Philip has exhibited extensively around Australia, and makes his own work and private commisions, as well as teaching from the studio.
Contemporary Metal offers jewellers and students access to a fully equipped studio including: rolling mill, soldering and melting torches, pendant drills, vacuum casting, vulcaniser and wax injector, hydraulic press, lathe, tumbler, polisher, ultrasonic, large dapping sets and lapidary equipment.
We have benches available for hire on a casual, weekly or ongoing basis.