Introduction to Jewellery Making - Stages 1, 2 & 3
(+17 more dates)
Come and learn how to make silver jewellery.
Each Stage is a five - week course with a 3.5 hour class per week. Each Stage costs $495.00 (including GST) and new skills are learned at each Stage.
Skills covered include sawing, soldering and filing, basic gem setting, shaping with punches, polishing and use of equipment and new skills are learned at each stage. The projects for each stage are designed to progress skill development for basic jewellery making.
Stage 1 students will make a cabochon gem set silver ring and a range of other samples. Materials and equipment are provided for all stage 1 students.
Stage 2 students will consolidate the skills developed in stage 1 and will make a silver linked toggle bracelet. Students pay for the silver which is estimated at $25.00.
Stage 3 students will further advance their skills and make two sided domed pierced hollow pendant, initially in brass and if time allows in silver (chain included). Students will design their pendant. The silver cost is based on the weight of the pendant prior to setting the stone.
The silver for stage 2 and 3 projects can be purchased from the studio.
Stage 4 to 9 projects will follow on from stage 3 to further consolidate and advance your jewellery making skills. Details can be found under bookings for "Consolidate and Advance Jewellery Making Skills Stages 4 to 9."
Classes are run on Tuesday (5.30pm to 9pm), Thursday and Friday (10 am to 1.30pm ) and Saturday (1.30pm to 5pm) in five -week blocks for 3.5 hours a week.
What you will learn
- Come and learn how to make silver jewellery in stages to develop basic jewellery making skills.
- Stage 1 students will learn how to make a silver and gemstone ring and a range of other samples.
- Stage 2 students will lean to make a silver toggle bracelet and Stage 3 students a two sided pierced hollow pendant.
What you will get
- Your project jewellery.
- Materials and equipment are provided for all stage 1 students, including silver. Stage 2 and 3 students can purchase silver from the studio.
- Jewellery making skills including sawing, soldering, filing, basic gem setting, bale making and polishing and experience with a range of tools and equipment.
What to bring
- Your interest to learn!
- Any drawings and visual research especially for Stage 3.
- An apron if you have one. There are spare aprons at the studio.
What to wear
Closed in shoes, tee shirt,long pants/jeans and long hair tied back. The dress code is for your safety.
No experience necessary for stage one students. Stage 2 and 3 students must have had pervious experience in jewellery making.
COVID-19 Risk Mitigation Strategy -Important
Contemporary Metal implemented a COVID-19 RISK Mitigation Strategy in March 2020. Please refer to our Website under Our Policies for detail.
We are a contemporary jewellery studio and gallery run by local jeweller Philip Noakes, who has over forty years experience in making and teaching in the industry. Philip has exhibited extensively around Australia, and makes his own work and private commisions, as well as teaching from the studio.
Contemporary Metal offers jewellers and students access to a fully equipped studio including: rolling mill, soldering and melting torches, pendant drills, vacuum casting, vulcaniser and wax injector, hydraulic press, lathe, tumbler, polisher, ultrasonic, large dapping sets and lapidary equipment.
We have benches available for hire on a casual, weekly or ongoing basis.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
- A refund can be requested 2 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$20.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Contemporary Metal or organised by Contemporary Metal must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Contemporary Metal.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Contemporary Metal unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Contemporary Metal classes and events or on Contemporary Metal's premises. (For use of Contemporary Metal marketing materials).