Silversmithing Skills (Day Class)
(+6 more dates)
Come and learn silversmithing techniques with Philip Noakes, Silversmith with 45 years experience, whose high standard of work has been recognised by The Institute of Professional Goldsmiths(London). You can make;
- a shallow copper bowl in a class,
- a silver spoon in two to three classes,
- a raised beaker in three classes.
Design and make other objects/vessels in consultation with Philip. The number of classes will be discussed and agreed between the student and Philip Noakes.
The class is held on a Friday, and you can start at any time. You can purchase silver from the studio. Copper is included in the course charge.
Please note -This class is not a silver jewellery making class.
What you will learn
- Come and learn silversmithing techniques.
- Silversmithing techniques taught including raising, forming, seaming, forging and hammering.
- Learn to make a shallow copper bowl, a silver spoon, a raised copper beaker or bowl.
What you will get
- Your silver or copper object to take home.
- Expert instruction from Philip Noakes, silversmith and a Fellow of the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths (London).
What to bring
- Your interest to learn!
- Images and ideas
What to wear
Closed in shoes, jeans/long pants and long hair tied back. The dress code is for your own safety.
No experience necessary
COVID-19 Risk Mitigation Strategy -Important
Contemporary Metal implemented a COVID-19 RISK Mitigation Strategy in March 2020. Please refer to our Website under Our Policies for detail.
We are a contemporary jewellery studio and gallery run by local jeweller Philip Noakes, who has over forty years experience in making and teaching in the industry. Philip has exhibited extensively around Australia, and makes his own work and private commisions, as well as teaching from the studio.
Contemporary Metal offers jewellers and students access to a fully equipped studio including: rolling mill, soldering and melting torches, pendant drills, vacuum casting, vulcaniser and wax injector, hydraulic press, lathe, tumbler, polisher, ultrasonic, large dapping sets and lapidary equipment.
We have benches available for hire on a casual, weekly or ongoing basis.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
- A refund can be requested 2 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$20.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Contemporary Metal or organised by Contemporary Metal must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Contemporary Metal.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Contemporary Metal unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Contemporary Metal classes and events or on Contemporary Metal's premises. (For use of Contemporary Metal marketing materials).