This workshop is for beginners and intermediate students. Learn the basic script and how to develop your rhythm and consistency. Learn the different brush holds together with stroke direction, pressure and speed and how that all affects the line drawn with the pointed brush. You will be taught the techniques and rules of the art and then how to break away from these to develop your own personal style.
Lauchean will demonstrate the different approaches to handling the brush. See Lauchean giving loads of demonstrations on the basics in letter construction right through to inspiring & expressive flourishing. You will improve your confidence with this tool and discover it’s value by using it to write and draw.
In day one you will learn how to form letters and words using these strokes. Discover how blend watercolours with a water brush. Create a small artwork with your newfound skills.
In day two you will extend these skills to create style variations through changes to widths of letter, changes in weight, strokes, additions and decoration.
The pointed brush may be the most versatile lettering tool available today. It’s everywhere. Be cool, be fab, and have fun learning to use this tool with ease.
- Begin by getting to know the basic letter construction through the skeletal letter forms.
- Learn the different brush holds that are used and how they change the kind of type of stroke you make.
- Learn the basic strokes and the effect direction, pressure and speed all have on the line you make.
- Discover how blend watercolours with a water brush.
- Develop a feel and confidence through repeated practice. Get into the rhythm, gain fluidity and momentum.
- Find movement with music using gesture and improvised strokes.
- Build up speed, rhythm and movement.
- Learn how to draw the right ornaments and flourishes and how to integrate them into your layout.
- Create a beautiful layout for your brush lettering and flourishes. and how to integrate them into your layout.
- Discover what you can create with your newfound skills
- Different brush holds together with stroke direction, pressure and speed
- Techniques and rules of the art and then how to break away from these to develop your own personal style.
- Learn a basic script and how to develop your rhythm and consistency
- A range of special papers to ease you into the practice.
- Booklet containing a comprehensive set of notes & instructions
- Expert tuition from an experienced teacher and professional calligrapher!
- Light refreshments - drinks, tea and chai and snacks
- A Brush pen to start you off
- A real pointed brush for using with water colour and gouache
- A kit with all the starter supplies you'll need, this is to keep Valued at $55
- Printed guide line papers for all sized brushes used
- Extras - variations of styles and layout ideas
- Your enthusiasm to learn!
- Your adventurous creative self!
- A word / phrase / quote you'd love to learn how to letter. Your own name is more than fine!
Casual (This might get messy)
For enthusiastic admirers of beautiful letters, beginners and experienced calligraphers of pen and brush
Vendor since 2016
About Me “Lauchean” Your Teacher
Bringing an influence of tradition & craft to the table, I’m essentially a calligrapher, teacher, hand-lettering artist who works with letterforms to create art through design.
I fell in love with calligraphy even before I discovered what it was called.
This love of “Beautiful Writing” lead me to study “Ticket & Show Card Writing”.
A small moment in time that has shaped my life.
I returned to study Art & Design as a mature aged student, then, on winning top folio in the state on Graduation, I landed on my feet as a Graphic Artist in a prestigious Design Studio. Opening THE GRAPHIC QUILL in 1991, specialising in calligraphy and design, my life as a passionate letterer was blossoming.
I was a pioneer at the time and didn’t know it. With no internet and nowhere to look to see what was happening in my field. I was alone, so I made it up as I went. It’s hard to imagine isn’t? There was little to nothing available in individual or “bespoke” design choices for, what I termed “Celebration Stationery”. So I designed my own custom ranges incorporating type and calligraphy and much more.
I was teaching way back in the mid 80’s, at the College of Decoration, now merged with RMIT, at CAE for 10 years and running my own workshops and courses all over Victoria. Calligraphy was booming and I was in my element. Those classes kept me afloat financially and teaching taught me so much about my art.
In time built a business specialising in invitations incorporating Calligraphy and Design. My client list consisted of many top Australian corporate names including Crown Casino, BHP, Australian Grand Prix, Frontier Touring and International Film Makers to name but a few.
Calligraphy is no lost trade or art or craft. The uses for calligraphy and lettering is limited only by your imagination. Therefore the purpose of the work I do is vast.
From one off commissions to written words used for major films and everything in between.
Throughout my career I have continued to study the art of calligraphy. That’s essential as it’s a living and evolving art. Training with “Master Calligraphers” from around the world since my humble beginnings in the early 80’s, I continue to do the same to this day.
To name a few of these International Masters: Shelia Waters, her son Julian, Christopher Haanes, Yves Leterme, Eliza Holliday, Charles Pearce, Thomas Ingmire, Graham McArthur and the list goes on laa la laa. I have traced the auspicious family tree of highly regarded teachers that I have had the honour to study with “write” back through the generations to Edward Johnston who is widely acknowledged for rediscovering my “LOST TRADE”.
The Graphic Quill requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email The Graphic Quill to organise a refund or transfer
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at The Graphic Quill or organised by The Graphic Quill must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by The Graphic Quill.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give The Graphic Quill unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at The Graphic Quill classes and events or on The Graphic Quill's premises. (For use of The Graphic Quill marketing materials).
The Graphic Quill requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.