Thursday Morning Wheel Throwing
A six-week course, once a week on Thursday morning, designed to give you an overview of the ceramic process. The basics of throwing trimming decorating and glazing will be taught. This is an ALL COST INCLUDED course. ie All your tools, clay, decorating slips, glazes and firings are included in the price of your course.
Social distancing and Hygiene measures at Muddy Girl Studio.
- Please bring an apron or old shirt of your own AND a bath sized towel.
- Hand sanitizer will be supplied and you are requested to use it upon entry to the studio
- There will be an allocated work space for each student this will include wedging bench pottery wheel and somewhere to put your coat and belongings. Please keep within your work space as much as possible.
- All wheels will be spaced at least 1.5 m apart
- Disinfectant will be in the throwing water
- All work surfaces will be sprayed and wiped down between classes.
- Do not attend class if you are unwell. We can arrange one makeup class if necessary.
- We will continue to adjust and implement strategies as advised by the Victorian government
What you will learn
- You will attempt the basics of throwing : Wedging centering, and pulling up in the first few weeks, creating cyclindrical pots. Following this you will learn basic trimming ,cleaning up the bottom of your pots. more throwing techniques will be taught allowing you to create bowls and these will also be trimmed at the leather hard stage creating a foot ring on each if desired. A variety of decorating processes will be incorporated and finally you will glaze all you pieces. s
What you will get
- Between 6 to eighteen glazed pots and a sense of achievement
What to bring
- Your enthusiasm! first and bring a towel and apron/oldshirt too
What to wear
Casual (Warning: this might get messy)
Adults wanting to learn something new
Vendor since 2019
Muddy Girl Studio is the ceramic studio of potter and teacher Claire Johnson. It is a boutique style school, set in an idylic location at the foot of the Dandenong . We only run small classes with a maximum of six students ensuring you get the attention needed to grasp the fundementals of throwing on the pottery wheel. The current team consist of two teachers Claire and Alli and our assistant Maria and well as several dedicated volunteers.
Claire has worked in the ceramic industry for the past 20 years. Initially working as facilitator of children’s clay activities for Clayplay Inc. She worked for commercial manufacturers such as Robert Gordon Australia and Clayworks Potters Supply as a technician and has undertaken freelance commissions from companies such as TXU and Heatmaster. She worked for Northcote Pottery Supplies in their education program for six years before setting up her own school in her home studio.
Muddy Girl Studio requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email Muddy Girl Studio to organise a refund or transfer