Colour can be intimidating but if you understand the theory that underlies subtractive colour mixing, and have the opportunity to practise the delicate mixing skills under the guidance of an experienced artist, then you have solid skills that stay for life.
We begin with some colour theory & start with biased secondary mixes & move onto mixing the subtractive tertiary mixes of greys & blacks, how to gently desaturate colours, all skills that are so important in painting
– The optimal pigments to mix clear secondary colours – How to organise a palette – The relationships between complementary colours – The three components of colour – Colour value and it’s role in pictorial organisation– Distinction between value & saturation in colour– The crucial role of neutral colours– How to mix a neutral grey with complementary colours – Desaturate a colour to change it’s value– Mix colour through layering paint– Brushwork when layering colour
Enquiries : 0450 457 374
Handouts are provided with full information on colour theory, paints, mediums and brushes.
We touch on colour mixing through brushwork and the layering of translucent colours.
Limited to 6 students only
Time: 10:00AM - 4:00PM Duration: 6 hours
- How to organise a palette
- What pigments are best to mix clear secondary colours
- The crucial role of neutral colours in painting
- All materials provided for this workshop
- A colour wheel made with quality pigments for perfect colour mixes
- A value chart
- A saturation chart
- A composition grid for colour organisation
- Detailed handout on colour
- Detailed handout on value
- Detailed handout on colour components
- Detailed handout on painting tools
- Small Class only six students
- Professional Artist Carmel Byrne will be giving this workshop
- All materials are provided
- Clothing may come in contact with paint so bring an apron
- We have a kitchen so bring lunch or use the excellent nearby cafes
Casual (Warning: This might get messy)
Suitable for all levels including absolute beginners.
Vendor since 2016
Scratch Art Space operates from a warehouse located in Marrickville and has been running since 2002. We're a five studio complex with a streetfront gallery and an upstairs venture space with a diverse range of activities and events.
Our mission is to promote and support unrepresented artists through ongoing studio and gallery programs. Check out our classes and workshops!