Slow Clay Wheel - Intermediate & Advanced Levels
(+2 more dates)
You have been re-directed to the booking page for Slow Clay Intermediate-Advanced wheel classes.
Please note: The courses on this page are for Intermediate-Advanced level only. You must have completed at least two terms with us (or equivalent elsewhere) at Beginner's level. If you are unsure of your level please ring us on 99437844 to discuss before you book as we do not give refunds. Please read the details carefully on our website: www.slowclay.com.
When you are ready to book, please choose a class time carefully from the drop-down menu on this page. Please double-check your booking because it is easy to make mistakes and impossible to transfer you if other classes are full!
We look forward to welcoming you to Slow Clay Centre!
What you will learn
- Develop the ʻpower of slowʼ where movements are planned to be economical whilst having the most effect.
- Design your own forms and develop your unique sense of touch
- Develop new skills and build upon past ones using a range of techniques that are ergonomically sound
What you will get
- Knowledge and practice of more complex forms and choosing appropriate techniques
- Knowledge and practice in design, development and supportive critique of individual concepts
- A well-chosen group of pieces, finished and glazed
What to bring
- an old clean towel to each class
- notebook and pen
- camera if you wish
What to wear
clothes you don't mind getting a bit dirty and sensible shoes! Cut those long fingernails too!
adults who have completed minimum two Beginners courses with us or equivalent elsewhere
Escape to Slow Clay Centre and learn the art, craft and design of expression in clay.
Slow Clay Centre specialises in ceramics and pottery education and we aim to give you the best experience learning our ancient craft! We welcome all levels from beginners to advanced, including professional development and mentoring. We offer courses on a weekly basis by the term, intensive weekends, and a rich variety of one-day guest artist workshops and forums. We also offer a popular single session "taster class" once per week and look out for our Professional Development Program for serious practitioners! Oh and we never forget our precious little ones: we have a Clay Club for kids offered as a holiday program and after school so everyone can learn the art of working with clay!
Our weekly students receive priority to re-enrol each term and take advantage of our generous loyalty program providing free studio access (conditions apply). In this way we can help you to develop your skills to a high level.
Our unique "Slow Clay" (TM) method for teaching the pottery wheel, established by Slow Clay Centre director and ceramic artist Jane Sawyer, has been taught for more than thirty years. Based on the Japanese techniques Jane studied training as a production thrower in Japan in combination with western techniques, the "Slow Clay" method offers a synthesis of East and West. It provides ergonomic best-practice and a solid foundation for personal expression and confidence with clay. All our courses offer a foundation of skill-based learning within a rich framework of contemporary art and design enquiry so you can follow your interests. Our ultimate aim is to help you achieve whatever your personal goals are with clay!
Based in a beautiful inner-city studio in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia, the Slow Clay team consists of leading professional ceramic artists and experienced teachers who offer high-level teaching in a broad variety of topics - see our web site for teacher profiles. Together with guest professional artists who host workshops and forums, we are a vibrant community and wish to share our passion for clay with everyone who is keen, no matter what level.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A transfer can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$15.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$15.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Welcome to Slow Clay Centre!
We aim to give you the best experience learning ceramics! Each course booking page may have slightly different terms but these ones below are specific to us. Please read carefully:
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre courses, workshops and events:
- Deposit or full payment (depending on the course/workshop/event) must be made at the time of booking.
- Please choose carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, we can transfer you to another class or hold your payment in credit for up to 12 months for any future course (there's a $25 fee for transfer or credit note and you must pay any fee difference if the new course price is higher).
- Please note: All students will receive a reminder three weeks before the start date with a link to pay any remaining balance with your credit card. Students who paid the deposit online will have the balance automatically deducted. Others will need to click on the link provided or ring our office on 99437844.
- Due to our limited class sizes, if your balance is not received three weeks before the start date and you have not made arrangements with us, we reserve the right to find a replacement student and if this is not possible we will keep your deposit.
Weekly classes: These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- Please note that making ceramics, particularly on the pottery wheel, can be a physically demanding activity. If you have any pre-existing illnesses and/or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, hips, neck, wrists or elbows we strongly advise you to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs.
- We ask that you fully disclose any prior and/or ongoing illnesses or injuries that could affect you before you enrol AND inform your teacher in person during the first class.
- Your enrolment is conditional on your acceptance that Slow Clay Centre and/or the company's employees, whether casual, contract, or permanently employed, are indemnified against any exacerbation of any past or any new injuries that may arise as a result of your activites.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is individually negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of our classes is strictly on education not studio production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students will incur a single firing fee based on the current cost (advised in your class)
- Please note: we encourage judicious selection of your work to fire. Firing is always optional and all clay is recycled until the first firing. After that you must pay the firing fee for everything that gets fired. If it cracks, glaze drips, or you just don't like it, you are still required to pay the firing fee unless the fault is caused by us.
- Collection of fired pieces: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Students will be notified via email when work is ready to be collected. Work will only be retained for two weeks following notification.
Regarding Kids Clay Club:
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness, allergies or disability that may affect your child's involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please respect our teachers and be prompt to arrive and collect your children. Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early to class or leave your children more than 5 minutes later than the class end.
- Children are expected to be mature enough to follow instructions, to work in a group together, to respect everyone's needs and differences and to be polite to everyone.
More From Slow Clay Centre
Slow Clay Weekend Intensive: Pottery WheelSlow Clay Weekend Intensive: Pottery Wheel
from AU$595.00Collingwood, VICSat, 22 Apr 10:00AM (AEST) (+3 more)
Clay Club: Kid's Holiday 2xhalf-day pottery courseClay Club: Kid's Holiday 2xhalf-day pottery course
from AU$195.00Collingwood, VICThu, 20 Apr 9:30AM (AEST)
Other classes you might like
Mothers Day Workshop: Make a Plant Pot with MumMothers Day Workshop: Make a Plant Pot with Mum
AU$138.00Live via ZoomSun, 14 May 1:30AM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Craft Hour for KidsCraft Hour for Kids
AU$178.00Live via ZoomThu, 27 Apr 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Create Letter Art on CanvasCreate Letter Art on Canvas
from AU$68.00Live via ZoomSun, 30 Apr 3:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
6 Week Pottery Wheel Throwing Course6 Week Pottery Wheel Throwing Course
AU$420.00Collingwood, VICTue, 11 Apr 6:00PM (AEST) (+2 more)
Intro to Vintage Fashion IllustrationsIntro to Vintage Fashion Illustrations
from AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 07 May 2:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Learn to Make Rhinestone PortraitsLearn to Make Rhinestone Portraits
from AU$66.00Live via ZoomSun, 14 May 3:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
from AU$85.00Live via ZoomWed, 31 May 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Anime Art for KidsAnime Art for Kids
AU$53.00Live via ZoomThu, 13 Apr 2:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Graffiti Drawing Course for KidsGraffiti Drawing Course for Kids
AU$175.00Live via ZoomWed, 10 May 4:15PM (AEST) (+1 more)Accepts private bookings
Learn How to Bake Alfajores BiscuitsLearn How to Bake Alfajores Biscuits
from AU$99.00Live via ZoomSun, 02 Apr 2:00PM (AEST) (+8 more)Accepts private bookings
Thanks so much Georgia! We love him too!
Thank you soo much for your lovely words! We are a little overwhelmed!