WHAT STUDENTS LEARN
Roller printing – learn how to impress directly on to metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand cut stencils and much more
Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band
Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
Patinate – use our special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
WHAT STUDENTS MAKE
A sterling silver ring band, designed and made by you!
ABOUT THE COURSE
Is it really possible to make a sterling silver ring in one day from scratch – with no experience at all? Well, it certainly is at SquarePeg Studios.
This one day jewellery making course makes a great gift and is a great introduction for students who would like to see if they enjoy working with metal. It’s perfect for those who would like to make a ring for themselves, for a partner or friend.
Students experiment and sample copper (some make a copper ring first) and then incorporate these new skills into a sterling silver band. All tools and materials, including copper and a silver strip, are provided.
MEET YOUR TUTORS - Make a Ring in a Day is taught on alternate dates by Emily Copp or Danielle Lo.
Emily is a Sydney based creative who works with diverse materials and technologies. She has presented work in many group shows, as well as exhibiting solo. Environmental and ethical concerns inform and motivate her works which include jewellery forms and tableware objects within her practice.
She is a resident artist and director at SquarePeg Studios alongside teaching various classes in SquarePeg Studio's classroom. Emily also moonlights at the University of NSW Art and Design Campus.
Danielle’s works are an intimate physical exploration of conceptual ideas, achieved through the use of shapes, form, line, colour and textural elements. Danielle predominately works in silver and enamel, using traditional silversmithing techniques. Upon finishing her Advanced Diploma in Jewellery and Objects at Enmore Design Centre (2014), Danielle went on to complete a Bachelor of Visual Arts majoring in Jewellery and Object at Sydney College of Arts (2016) and has finished the JamFactory Associate Training Program (2018) in the Metal and Jewellery Studio.
- How to size your ring – either to make it for yourself or for a partner or friend (if you are thinking of making a ring for someone else, please bring along the ring size or ring in the size you want to make)
- Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
- Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
- Base metal sheet and sterling silver for the ring
- Sterling silver for your first ring
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and biscuits.
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg. All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
Perfect for those starting out on their jewellery making journey.
Vendor since 2016
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for our refund policy. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com.
- The course fees must be paid in full or as a pay in instalments plan on enrolment and are non-refundable.
- In the event that a course is cancelled or oversubscribed, the course fees less the 4.5% non-refundable booking fee may be refunded, alternatively SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the full fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
- Our courses are open to students 16 years and older, Jewellery Studio Bench access is open to students 18 years and older.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits are issued for non attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Some of our courses require prior learning, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as at 1 May, 2020.
Subject to change as per Government directives.
- In the event a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next date on which the course or workshop is scheduled, and notify the student of the change in a timely manner.
- In the case that the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue. No refunds will be permitted.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to latest Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors with regard to social distancing, wearing of masks and appropriate hygiene measures whilst attending SquarePeg Studios.
- Students must not attend SquarePeg studios if they are unwell, have been in contact with a person that has tested positive to Covid-19 or returned from overseas within the past two weeks.