This one day intensive workshop provides an introduction to clay and the fundamentals of throwing on the pottery wheel. Beginners will learn to anchor clay to the wheelhead, how to center the ball of clay using correct hand position and balanced body posture. Predominate focus will be making cylinders and small bowls. Students with some previous experience will practise above with guided instruction to improve centering, pulling up techniques & larger pieces.
Please be aware that this is quite an intesive workshop for beginners as Wheel Throwing is harder than it looks! It can be quite challenging if you haven't tried it before.
Duration: 6 Hours
- Introduction to clay and the fundamentals of throwing on the pottery wheel
- Learn how to center the ball of clay using correct hand position and balanced body posture
- Learn to anchor clay to the wheelhead & become centered
- Refreshments and loads of encouragement provided.
- Includes 5kg bag of clay, foot turning & Bisque Firing.
- $10.00 Discount offered on optional Glazing Class at completion of 1 Day Workshop
- Bring-Your-Own x 2 hand towels & apron
- Bring-Your-Own lunch or purchase from local cafe nearby- refreshments provided
- Patience & Persistance
- Long nails need to be trimmed as they will damage your clay creations & make Throwing on the Pottery Wheel very difficult
Please dress in suitable clothes as clay is messy. No open toe shoes, thongs or high heels
Beginners welcome or Improve your skills
Vendor since 2017
Studio Artemis was established in 2008 by Director and clay artist Kristin Miller. The studio was named after the Hellenic Goddess of the Moon, wild animals and wilderness. The Temple of Artemis in Turkey was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and became a safe refuge for many requiring sanctuary from the perils of life.
Like its fore bearer, Studio Artemis provides a supportive and nurturing space for people wanting to explore and experiment within the creative realm. Due to immense popularity ,the studio has continued to expand since its inception and relocated to a new and larger site in Huntingdale, Melbourne at the end of 2014. Quietly nestled near the popular Huntingdale shopping strip, Studio Artemis is easily accessed via the M1 (Monash Freeway), Dandenong Road and North Road routes.
Studio Artemis conducts classes, private and group tuition and workshops all year round. The studio is large and caters for all abilities including sculpture, wheel throwing, hand building and Art Therapy. Studio Artemis welcomes all ages and abilities to visit their special and unique space where they pride themselves on the nurturing and enhancement of the creative spirit in everyone.
Studio Artemis is an agent for Venco Australia. The studio specialises in the sale of new & secondhand Pottery Wheels and accessories. Studio Artemis has established itself as Australia's largest seller of refurbished Venco Pottery Wheels and also provides a pottery wheel rental service for those who would like to give the clay experience a try!