Nine hours of tuition where you learn to sew from the very beginning. We take you through all the basics of sewing; understanding the sewing machine, sewing technique and how to trouble shoot problems at the machine yourself.
We'll introduce you to terminology, tools, patterns, fabric anatomy, cutting technique and achieving professional results. You'll get to know what you want in a sewing machine if you haven't yet purchased one.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Sewing Basics for Beginners - click here.
- Looking for Gift Vouchers? Click here.
- Join Thread Den's Mailing List - click here
What You'll Be Making:
- Week 1: felt lined fabric wallet
- Week 2: zippered toiletries case with interfacing
- Week 3: fully lined sling bag with boxed out corners
- Week 1: Threading and setting up your machine, using sewing kit tools, getting familiar with the terminology.
- Week 2: All about zippers and inserting an exposed zip, understanding and using interfacing, the anatomy of fabric.
- Week 3: Tracing out, cutting technique, sewing at seam allowance, bagging out a lining.
- Experienced and friendly teachers to take you through everything from the very beginning.
- Detailed handouts in each weekly workshop.
- A finished project each week.
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Week 1: a piece of craft felt at least 17cm x 27cm, sewing machine thread & a piece woven cotton fabric at least 45cm x 35cm
- Week 2: a piece of heavy weight fusible interfacing at least 45cm x 60cm, sewing machine thread, a 25cm closed end chunky plastic zip & .5metre woven cotton fabric
- Week 3: sewing machine thread, two pieces of woven cotton fabric both 1 metre
- A list of supplies is included in your confirmation email
Perfect for absolute beginners
Quilting and crafting fabrics are ideal for the projects we make in this course. They are woven fabrics made from cotton & cotton blends.
Vendor since 2013
Learn to sew and make your own clothes.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here.
Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
- Cancellation requests received the day before, the day of, or any time after a course start are not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
- All cancellations are subject to a 25% cancellation fee.
- Refunds will be processed back to the original payment method less the 25% fee.
Refunds are processed as soon as notification of cancellation is received, allow approximately 3 days for your banking institution to show the refund to your account.UPDATE March 2019 - We are not processing refunds during the COVID-19 crisis. Processing will return to normal after the shutdown is lifted.
Request for Transfer:
- Bookings (without date changes) are fully transferrable to another person without incurring any penalty.
- Participants may request a transfer to their booking without penalty up until fourteen (14) days prior to the course or workshop start date.
- Participants transferring their booking within fourteen (14) days prior to the course or workshop start date incur a $10 administration fee.
- Requests to transfer received the day before, the day of, or any time after a course start will not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
Notice periods above are based on your original booking date, if a transfer has been made, the notice periods do not reset.
Effective 1 November 2019
This policy is available for viewing on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/
We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card.
Unfortunately, we can’t tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
The full terms and conditions are available on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/