Indigo & Shibori Dyeing
Learn about the art of Japanese Shibori, a resist dyeing method of creating crisp and organic patterns on cloth. In this workshop, we will be using methods including, Itajime - folding and clamping, Arashi - pole wrapping and Ori-nui - folded hand stitched pleating. Experiment with different techniques throughout the workshop on cotton fabric with our class indigo vat and choose your favourite to dye a linen tea-towel or hemp/cotton tote bag to take home. On the day there will be extra tea-towels and tote bags to purchase for yourself or to give away as gifts. Leave feeling inspired and with the knowledge to continue shibori dyeing fabric at home with recycled materials and plant dyes you probably already have!
- Shibori Resist techniques
- How to dye fibre with natural dyestuffs, including info on mordanting & fabric care, about Indigo dye and how to create an indigo vat
- How to plan intentional designs with fabric dye
- Cotton fabric samples that you have hand dyed with various patterns, approx 1 mt
- A linen tea towel, tote bag or bandanna dyed with your own design
- Afternoon tea (vegan and gluten free freindly)
- White prewashed natural fibre of fabric you would like to dye during the class if time permits
Casual (Warning: this might get messy)
Open to everyone interested!
Vendor since 2018
Roz is an advocate for using art and craft as therapy, using creative practice as a tool to help her manage her own mental health struggles. She believes a revival in craft and hand-making is important for our community and our environmental health and is keen to spread the word.
For the past 3 years, Roz has been teaching textile workshops around Victoria and interstate, sharing her lifelong love of craft, with classes that provide a focus on mindfulness and sustainability.
The Be Kind Textiles studio, situated at 457 St Georges Rd Thornbury, is a combined retail and workshop space that offers a delightful mix of sustainable craft supplies, handmade accessories & homewares, with a sprinkle of vintage treasures throughout.
The studio space is equipped with an industrial sewing machine, overlocker, large table space, iron, tea & coffee facilities and is available for long-term or short-term hire. The studio is also a great meeting place for your craft or social group, day or night, get in touch to check availability.