Friday Kids Pottery Classes 8 week class
Term 3 2023: Friday 14th July - Friday 8th September 4.00pm - 6.00pm.
Term 4 2023: Friday 6th October - Friday 1st December 4.00pm - 6.00pm.
Tutor: Siena Hyland
Placements are limited to 10 per class. Placements will be properly opened to the public one month before the beginning of term.
Discover the amazing world of pottery and clay at Clay Talk, Montsalvat, after school this term - the perfect opportunity for kids (8 to 12 years) who love art to extend their skills or who want to dive into clay for the first time. Classes run for 8 weeks.
In this new extended time of 2 hours after school class on Fridays 4pm - 6pm, students will learn to throw on the Potter’s Wheel and Hand-build amazing sculptures by hand. Siena will teach the basic skills involved in throwing small vessels, to sculpting their most mythical of animals by hand whilst having tonnes of fun with the tutor in the process!
At Clay Talk we want to be able to deliver students the best of both worlds in ceramics when learning on the wheel to hand-building more complex and abstract forms.
Children will be able to make to their hearts content, guided by the tutor and finished off by the kiln technician who will fire their pieces to take at home after they come out of the kiln.
What is included:
* glazes, underglazes, colorants
* pottery and sculpting tools
*kiln firings of their pieces
maximum of 8 students so there is plenty of one-on-one learning time to develop each student's skills, style and/or personal project.
Skill level required:
Children of all skill levels and abilities are very welcome to join!
What you will learn
- Express themselves through fun and imaginative play with clay
- Harness their creative spacial design skills
- How to relax and be present while being absorbed in throwing on the potter's wheel
What you will get
- unlimited access to clay, colors and firing all their pieces
What to bring
What to wear
Comfortable older clothes and closed in shoes - Clay can get messy!
Creative young minds interested in trying ceramics. You may have never touched clay before or be looking to extend your existing skills.
The Clay Talk Ceramics Centre in Montsalvat is a ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building at all stages of development supplemented by specialist programs and workshops taught by established artists.
Clay Talk Ceramic Centre has an average rating of 4.9 for their other classes.See other reviews
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To secure your place in a class, course or workshop we require full payment at the time of booking.
Bookings are only accepted through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Payment of class, course or workshop fees can only be made through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Clay Talk studio is located on the grounds of Montsalvat. For this reason there are security measures in place to prevent trespassing and maintain your safety. Upon booking you should receive an Information Kit which has instructions on how to access Clay Talk studio.
REFUNDS / ABSENCE / TRANSFERS
- We DO NOT offer refunds or transfers if you change your mind. Please be sure you are able to commit to the class, course or workshop dates and times prior to booking.
- We do not offer 'make-up classes'. We might be able to offer alternative arrangements if you cannot attend class by contacting us at email@example.com to check if you are eligible within 5 working days of missing your class . Retrospective requests will not be accepted. Studio Access times are NOT make-up classes.
- Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel a class due to unforeseen circumstances such as insufficient enrolments. You will be notified prior to the class if cancellation of the class is deemed necessary and a pro-rata refund will be provided.
In the event of a lockdown or restrictions causing unavoidable or unforeseen interruption to the delivery of classes and workshops Clay Talk will endeavour to provide rescheduled classes and workshops.
In the event that students cannot attend the classes, students must email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible prior to the commencement of the rescheduled class or workshop. If a student is unable to attend the rescheduled classes or workshop Clay Talk may, at its absolute discretion, provide either a credit note or a pro-rata refund (minus an administration fee of 10%).
Gift vouchers are only available through our online portal www.claytalk.weteachme.com/. Gift vouchers can be purchased for a minimum of $20 and are valid for 3 years from purchase. Gift vouchers can be only be used for booking classes, courses and/or workshops at Clay Talk through our online portal. Gift vouchers can be applied at check out when booking a class, course or workshop.
FIRING OF WORK
Most workshops include firing and glazing of a specific number of pieces. Check the workshop listing description on our online platform. Students participating in one-off workshops must label their pieces with the name associated with their booking/ticket.
We take extreme care with your work but accidents do happen and we are unable to guarantee that your work will be successfully fired. Clay Talk takes no responsibility for failure or breakage of work.
- Firing of 2.5kg of finished work per student is included in the term class fee.
- Students can make and fire more work over this limit however additional charges apply.
- Students must label each of their pieces with their Makers Mark (your Makers Mark is made up of the initials of your first, middle & last name and your class code e.g. John Adam Smith = JAS). No Makers Mark will mean your work will not be fired.
If a kiln shelf is badly damaged from your work due to incorrect glaze type or clay body, you will be charged for the cost of replacing that shelf.
- If your work damages the interior of the kiln, you will be required to pay a fine based on the severity of the damage to be determined by the Clay Talk Studio Coordinator.
COLLECTION OF WORK
- Firing, glazing and packaging of your work takes approximately 2-4 weeks after your class/workshop.
- You will be notified by email when your work is ready for collection.
- Student work must be collected within 1 month of being notified. Students will be notified by email to the email address provided upon booking. If fired work, leftover clay and/or tools are not collected within this time it will be disposed of or donated to Clay Talk Fundraising.
More From Clay Talk Ceramic Centre
Wildlife Sculpture WorkshopWildlife Sculpture Workshop
AU$150.00Eltham, VICSat, 10 Jun 10:00AM (AEST) (+2 more)
Other classes you might like
3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects
from AU$445.00Live via ZoomWed, 06 Sep 6:30PM (AEST)
Zentangle Potrait ArtZentangle Potrait Art
AU$60.00Live via ZoomThu, 03 Aug 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
AU$79.00Live via ZoomTue, 25 Jul 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Make Feather Figure CanvasesMake Feather Figure Canvases
AU$88.00Live via ZoomTue, 18 Jul 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Paint a Tote Bag: CatPaint a Tote Bag: Cat
AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 16 Jul 1:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Francesca's Flower ClubFrancesca's Flower Club
AU$135.00Facebook LiveFri, 07 Jul 1:30PM (AEST) (+5 more)
Virtual Barn ExperienceVirtual Barn Experience
AU$0.00WebinarMon, 26 Jun 10:00AM (AEST)
Anime Art for KidsAnime Art for Kids
AU$54.00Live via ZoomTue, 01 Aug 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Upholstery and Soft FurnishingUpholstery and Soft Furnishing
AU$265.00Live via ZoomWed, 12 Jul 6:45PM (AEST)
Anime and Manga Drawing Course for All!Anime and Manga Drawing Course for All!
AU$155.00Live via ZoomSun, 06 Aug 1:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings