Spoon Carving Workshop, Hands-on experience
Come spend a Saturday with us and walk away not only with the experience, but also a full set of spoon carving tools and a beautiful wooden spoon made with your own hands!
Creating something as fundamentally human as a wooden spoon using simple hand tools can be a satisfying experience.
This guided workshop will take you through the process of selecting materials and the relaxing process of making your own wooden spoon. After a safety briefing you will receive tools and materials. Then we will spend a few hours slowly carving a spoon, break for lunch before completing the spoon in the afternoon.
- A relaxing day crafting your own eating spoon
- All materials required (spoon blank in wood, sand paper, food safe organic wood finish)
- Use of other hand tools, based on your design (small axe, saw)
- Cut-resistant gloves
- All instructions and support required
- Set of Spoon Carving Tools (to take home after the class is completed)
The day starts with a Safety Briefing and then we discuss the process from sourcing sustainable materials to the steps involved in making spoons. From axe work to bowl carving and the whittling of the bowl outline before we finish with hand sanding your spoon and applying your choice of either Hemp Seed Oil or our own CoCoBee Mix to your spoon. Both finishes are organic and food safe. The workshop starts at 9 am and we aim to be ready by 3 pm. You will leave not only with your spoon, but with the tools and skills required to continue your journey as a spoonsmith!
- Anyone over 16 years old with an interest in making their own spoon, no prior experience is required.
- We will be doing some basic axe work, for those selecting to use native timbers. Those selecting to not complete the axe steps or preferring softer material will carve pine which can be worked without the use of an axe.
- Anyone able to follow basic safety instructions required to work with sharp tools. Such as only carving while sitting down, carving away from your body and be mindful of the safety guidelines as provided by your instructor who is with you every step of the way.
We recommend wearing full-length pants and closed-toe shoes on the day. We will provide fabric "cut resistant" gloves on the day, these offer limited protection against slicing wounds but great care is always required when working with sharp tools.
The workshop will be held in the back yard of our location in Brookvale, Northern Beaches Sydney. This is an industrial setting outside, under roof with basic facilities. Lunch break will be from noon to 1 PM, there are several cafes in the area, as well as 2 craft breweries within 5 min walk (Nomad Brewery and 4 Pines Brewery) but there will no alcohol permitted until after any sharp tools are put away.
**Note: Please make sure to select correctly either Right Handed or Left Handed tools, to make sure we have enough of the correct hook blades for your workshop **
- Beginner Spoon Carving
- Safe use of sloyd and hook blades
- Skills and tools to bring home
- a spoon made with your own hands
Council car park on Chard Road, or limited street parking.
closed-toe shoes and long pants are recommended
Suitable for anyone over 16 years old, no prior experience required
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Creative Man or organised by Creative Man must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Creative Man.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Creative Man unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Creative Man classes and events or on Creative Man’s premises. (For use of Creative Man marketing materials).
Creative Man requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.
Creative Man requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email Creative Man to organise a refund or transfer