Rest in Pieces is excited to announce that Gavin Burland the Manager of Technical Operations at the Sydney School of Veterinary Science has joined the team.
Together we will be running a 2-day beginner Corrosion Casting Workshop.
The workshop will run from 1:00pm - 9:00pm on Saturday and 11:00am - 6:00pm on Sunday.
Throughout Day 1 you will get hands on and learn how to prepare and identify the anatomy, tie off and resin inject a sheep's heart. You will also attend an informative seminar on the history of corrosion casting and learn how to chemically macerate your specimen.
On day 2 you will prepare your own pre-macerated specimen for mounting and will learn the basics of installation.
At the end of the workshop you will walk away with a deeper knowledge of this fascinating scientific process and your very own gorgeous corrosion cast heart in a glass dome.
You will also have the option of purchasing a take home kit to practice your newly acquired skills in your own time.
As usual, the RIP team will take care of everything for you. All necessary tools along with your specimen, dome, apron, snacks, drinks, lunch and even wine will be provided throughout.
No prior Plastination or Corrosion Casting skills are necessary.
Would you like to book a take home kit?
We have 2 take home kit options listed. Each kit includes:
- Frozen pluck (specimen)
- The tools and chemicals for either all of the corrosion casting OR corrosion casting and installation into a glass dome (Please refer to the ticket type for details)
- The full list of instructions of the 2 day workshop
If you are flying from interstate and have bought the full take home kit you will need to have checked in luggage.
We will also be able to advise you of the dimensions of the take home kits in the week prior to the course.
What you will learn
- Techniques and processes for the preparation of your specimen, tying off and injecting the arteries
- How to chemically macerate your pluck (specimen)
- How to clean your macerated specimen for mounting into a gorgeous glass dome
What you will get
- Your own specimen to work on (of course your mounted corrosion cast is yours to take home at the end of the workshop!)
- All the tools required for the workshop
- Dinner, light Lunch, snacks, refreshments and wine
- A glass dome to protect your new creation
What to bring
- Camera or camera phone
- A strong tummy
What to wear
Dress in layers to suit a Melbourne Warehouse climate
Anyone with a curious mind
Taxidermy - Taxis 'arrangement' + Derma 'skin'
Natalie Delaney-John has travelled far and wide to learn the art of taxidermy and has been mentored by some of the world's best and most awarded taxidermists. She is the proud founder of Rest in Pieces, which launched Australia's first taxidermy workshops, conducts talks, demonstrations and now sells DIY kits so that you can learn this beautiful art in the comfort of your own home.
Since 2016, the Rest in Pieces team has expanded further into the 'dying arts', offering new classes and workshops aimed at preserving and presenting natural specimens.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a credit note.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$50.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Rest in Pieces or organised by Rest in Pieces must agree to these terms and conditions:
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Rest in Pieces.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Rest in Pieces unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Rest in Pieces classes and events or on Rest in Pieces' premises. (For use of Rest in Pieces marketing materials).
See refund section.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit. Class cancellations may occur where necessary, for example where class bookings do not meet minimum numbers.
Students agree not to attend classes if they are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19 and/or if they have been advised to self-isolate in line with government restrictions.