This course will introduce you to the marvellous world of patchwork and quilting with a modern twist!
The basic quilting techniques will be explained e.g. fat quarters, 1⁄4 inch seams. As well as the preparation of fabric, recommended thread, the safe use of roller cutters, rulers, and walking feet. You will be shown the skills required to create your 50x50cm, chevron pattern cushion with your own choice of fabrics and how to machine quilt it. With your new knowledge you can go on to enjoy and follow your own individual, creative, quilting path.
Please note, you need to have recent sewing experience to attend this workshop. You should be of at least beginner level, able to set up and operate a sewing machine independently and have experience with cutting fabric. If you would like to learn how to sew to attend this workshop or you need a refresher you can attend our Introduction to Sewing Course.
About Elizabeth McGee
Elizabeth has been stitching and making since she was a child! Over the years her skills have developed and grown and include tapestry, quilting, embroidery, knitting and crochet. She loves passing on the excitement of creating something which is beautiful and individual. Elizabeth hopes she can not only to teach the fundamental skills, but also guide, problem solve and above all inspire!
Class Duration: 3 x 2.5 hour classes October Course: Saturday 28th October, 4th &11th November - 10:30am to 1:00pm
- Learn about the the preparation of fabric, recommended thread, the safe use of roller cutters, rulers, and walking feet.
- You will be shown the skills required to create your 50x50cm, chevron pattern cushion with your own choice of fabrics and how to machine quilt it.
- Learn about the basic quilting techniques in a small-sized class (maximum 4 students)
- With your new knowledge you can go on to enjoy and follow your own individual, creative, quilting path.
- A Quilter's Kit which includes a 6 inch quilting ruler, 45cm rotary cutter, A3 cutting mat, cushion insert and Pellon thin wadding valued at RRP$83
- Finish the class having completed your quilted cushion.
- A small-sized class with a maximum of 4 students.
- 1.2 metres of background fabric, 4 x fat 1/4s of contrast fabric and a 500m spool of matching cotton thread.
- You are welcome to bring your own sewing machine to class.
16+ and above
Vendor sincce 2015
Sew Make Create is a workshop and retail space in Sydneys creative suburb of Chippendale. We hold casual, creative classes and social events for children and adults. Customers are also welcome to use the space to work on their own personal projects or hire a sewing machine on an hourly basis. The workshop welcomes everyone to gather and work amongst others over a cup of tea and have a creative experience.
Sew Make Create aims to encourage learning and creativity through providing the right environment, assistance and facilities.
Sew Make Create is the vision of fashion and accessory designer, Melissa Tan-Lu. She combines her love of eco-friendly design, handcrafting techniques and industry experience to create a collaborative space where designers, artists, entrepreneurs and the community can meet.
ClassesJanome Sewing Machine SalesMachine Servicing and RepairsDesign StoreSewing Machine & Studio HirePartiesGift Certificates
© 2015 Sew Make Create
You can cancel a booking, postpone or swap classes up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. If you wish to cancel your booking less than 7 days prior to the start of class we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. You are welcome to offer your spot to a friend to avoid losing your paid class fee. If you cancel, postpone or swap classes less than 7 days prior to the start of class a small re-booking, administration fee may apply to avoid losing your full paid class fee, so you aren’t left out of pocket.
Sorry, there will be no refunds for cancellations or “Change of Mind” after a class has been attended and the course has commenced. For cancellations and changes due to exceptional circumstances such as family issues or emergencies, each case will be looked at individually.