Because this is always a diverse group of actors each session is tailored to the needs of the group. The Rehearsal Room's unique process is still the foundation of all the lessons but the content will vary from session to session depending on the nature of the group.
It's a good idea to bring a scene or scenes to work on. But The Rehearsal Room files are available to find material if you don't have a scene.
The classes follow the same pattern that most classes at The Rehearsal Room do - there will be discussion about technique, which is followed by the rehearsal of a scene, that is then performed for the group and reviewed. You can record your session directly onto your computer.
But we also explore new processes that haven't been a standard part of the structure. For example we have great success exploring the use of improvisation in scripted scenes. This adventure has revealed a number of benefits.
Actors can either watch/audit (for free) or participate and perform a scene. The cost is $25 per session.
Or you can save $40 and buy eight sessions at $160 to be used at your discretion.
What you will learn
- Learn a diverse range of practical skills tailored to your individual needs
- Be able to manage character with simple skills that have you creating a character or changing on in seconds
- Find your place in the scene so that you can engage an audience with the drama
What you will get
- Record your scenes to assess and measure your progress
- Build your skills with an experienced director
- Come to grips with an acting process that is totally logical and produces wonderfully creative performances
- Test out whether this uniquely practical approach is the right one for you
- Learn how to measure your performances so you can adjust them with ease
- Know what to do when you first read your scene
- Build your skill at learning lines
- Develop the ability to work confidently because you are in charge of your process
What to bring
- Bring a scene to work on.
- Organise another actor to participate with you if you can
What to wear
Actors who are experience with The Rehearsal Room process, actors who have never done it before and even people who have never acted before but want to try are welcome in this class.
The Rehearsal Room is run by TV Director Richard Sarell who directed television drama for more than 25 years. During that time, he evolved an approach to acting that trains actors in techniques that enable them to compete and survive in the modern world of screen performance.
The techniques are based on simple principles that quickly produce professional results. They enable the actor to create complex real characters that are perfect for the screen but are also relevant for the stage. These classes enable actors to make choices that drive the character's interactions in a way that generates a compelling dramatic performance. The actors skill is to engage an audience because they feel they are watching a real life interaction. These classes provide the tools to deliver those outcomes.
Richard has been conducting workshops for professional actors in Australia and New Zealand for two decades, working with institutions such as the Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS), Australian Screen Directors Association (ASDA), National Theatre Drama School, Federation University and the Victorian College of the Arts (VCA).
The Rehearsal Room has an average rating of 5.0 for their other classes.See other reviews
Cancellations & Refunds
100% Money back guarantee if you feel it is not working for you by Week 5. Thereafter no refunds are available. However, your payment may be able to be transferred to another or future class if a suitable one is available.
Terms & Conditions
The Rehearsal Room provides a supportive environment to enable you to learn quickly and make clear progress. If you have to miss a class it might be possible for you to come an hour earlier for the next week's session to catch you up on the theory that you have missed. Two free one hour catch up sessions are included in your term fee. After that you may have to pay for a private catch up lesson at $125 per hour. Early notification if you can't attend a class is always helpful. That way we can plan ahead.
Please check the refund policy for details of your 100% money back guarantee.