In this four hour workshop you'll learn how to use a domestic sewing machine (just like you have at home) to work with light leather. This bag design can be made tall or short and features leather, a contrasting fabric, full lining and strapping handles. Students will learn to use a walking foot attachment, select the right needle and how to handle the tools to attach metal bag accessories.
The larger photographed bag is made from a yellow vinyl and medium weight woven fabric as the contrast. The smaller bag is made from a soft light-weight blue leather and a leather suede in darker blue. Both bags have natural coloured woven straps.
A notes on your supplies:
The easiest place to source leather is from op shops! Grab jackets and skirts, then give them a new lease on life. This is a great sustainable way to reuse material that has a long durable life (but often is in the daggiest of garments - HELLO 80s!!!)
The Fabric Store on Brunswick Street has a great range of leather in brilliant colours.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- How to sew light leather on a domestic sewing machine
- What needles to select
- Use a walking foot attachment and how to handle the tools to attach accessories
- A unique tote bag made by you
- A copy of the pattern
- Instructions to make it time and time again
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 1 metre of a woven light to medium weight cotton for the bag lining
- Natural woven strapping will be supplied for your handles
- 1 metre or enough to piece together two pieces of 40cm x 50cm soft light leather or a medium to heavy weight woven fabric.
- 0.5 metres of medium weight woven fabric for the outside of your bag
- Hardware for securing handles is supplied
✄ Perfect for students who have completed our Sewing Basics Course and want to learn several new techniques and skills
Vendor since 2013
Learn to sew and make your own clothes.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here.
Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
- Cancellation requests received the day before, the day of, or any time after a course start are not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
- All cancellations are subject to a 25% cancellation fee.
- Refunds will be processed back to the original payment method less the 25% fee.
- Refunds are processed as soon as notification of cancellation is received, allow approximately 3 days for your banking institution to show the refund to your account.
Request for Transfer:
- Bookings (without date changes) are fully transferrable to another person without incurring any penalty.
- Participants may request a transfer to their booking without penalty up until fourteen (14) days prior to the course or workshop start date.
- Participants transferring their booking within fourteen (14) days prior to the course or workshop start date incur a $10 administration fee.
- Requests to transfer received the day before, the day of, or any time after a course start will not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
Notice periods above are based on your original booking date, if a transfer has been made, the notice periods do not reset.
Effective 1 November 2019
This policy is available for viewing on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/
We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card.
Unfortunately, we can’t tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
The full terms and conditions are available on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/