Embroidery is appearing so much in Fashion. This workshop is open to those who are interested in exploring this beautiful craft for themselves.
First day – Mary will show you images of examples of opulent embroidery in fashion. Then Mary will demonstrate techniques for bead and sequin embroidery and goldwork (metal thread) embroidery over the two days. You will do samples for each technique in the workshop.
Students in this class will:
- learn about the different needles that they will use in the workshop and how to
- learn to identify the different metal threads, beads and sequins
- learn a variety of bead & sequin embroidery techniques
- learn a variety of goldwork embroidery techniques
- be taught how to transfer designs onto fabric
Students will need to bring to class:
- a ring frame (also called a hoop frame) that is about 25cm in diameter – must be a wooden frame, not a plastic frame (Mary recommends ‘Crewel Gobelin’ in Marion Street, Killara, ‘Stitch’ in Willoughby Rd or ‘Morris and Sons’ at 50 York St, Sydney)
- a foam bead mat or a lid (like an ice cream container lid) to stop the beads from rolling all over the place!
- a piece of fabric that must be closely woven and must be a good weight – not something flimsy. It must be big enough for the frame you will be using with fabric ‘left over’ around the outside of the frame
- a small, very sharp pair of scissors (Mary recommends www.scissorman.com.au – ring them and tell them what you are after and their service is quick)
- a pair of tweezers
- a G-clamp that will allow you to attach your frame to the table – not a huge one – buy one that you can open up enough to accommodate the depth of your frame and the depth of a typical table.
- Notepad and pen (biro).
Mary will be putting together a kit of materials for each student, which will include: metal threads for goldwork embroidery, beads and sequins. Mary will also include the various needles that will be used, a small piece of velvet for the cutting of purls (they are one type of metal thread).
PLEASE NOTE when booking a class with MakerSpace &company you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
MakerSpace is an 18+ facility, and our classes and facilities are designed for adults.
The reality is that MakerSpace is simply not set up to accommodate children. For further information please click here: http://makerspace.org.au/book-classes/faq/
Unfortunately our new space cannot offer suitable wheelchair access. We are currently working on improving our facilities to make them accessible for all.
We have very limited parking spaces on Gerald Street so if you're driving here please allow time to look for parking on our street or nearby streets.
Students must wear covered shoes, have long hair tied back and wear appropriate safety gear when using equipment. All students will be shown how to use appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment).
MakerSpace &company and its tutors will provide training in how to use all equipment and relevant machinery and tools to students during the course. It is essential that no equipment or machinery be used while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
While all care will be taken, it is the responsibility of the student to follow all instructions and use all the equipment in a safe and responsible manner.
- Learn how to frame up for embroidery
- Learn about the different needles that they will use in the workshop and how to thread them
- Learn to identify the different metal threads, beads and sequins
- Expert tuition from an expert coach.
- Just your enthusiasm!
Casual (Warning: this might get messy)
Open to everyone interested!
Vendor since 2019
A place for people to make things
Our agenda is to build a culture of innovation and excellence in Australian design, whilst strengthening the local community by bringing people together.
We are a place for locals to participate in the culture of making, and for visitors to experience the best in Australian Design across furniture, ceramics, metalwork, woodwork, industrial design and more.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at MakerSpace & Company or organised by MakerSpace & Company must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by MakerSpace & Company.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give MakerSpace & Company unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at MakerSpace & Company classes and events or on MakerSpace & Company's premises. (For use of MakerSpace & Company marketing materials).
MakerSpace & Company requires 5 days (120 hours) notice in writing prior to the class for a 75% refund or transfer. If you miss this window, we recommend you gift (or sell) your place to someone who will use it and love it. Class places are fully transferable. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Refunds: MakerSpace requires a minimum of 5 days (or 120 hour) notice in writing to receive a 75% refund for change of mind. If you miss this window, we recommend you gift (or sell) your place to someone who will use it and love it. Class places are fully transferable. Email email@example.com
Cancellations: We rarely cancel classes, but occasional things come up beyond our control. Our classes are very small to ensure you have a great learning experience, but we need a minimum of 4 students to run most of our classes. If a class is cancelled, we will get in touch by phone or email, and discuss your options which include refund, credit or transfer to another date.
Kids in classes: MakerSpace classes are designed for adults. Kids aged 14-17 can book this class on the condition that an accompanying adult also participates - which means booking two places. If you have questions about kids in the workshop, please read this.
Terms and Conditions: All students must read and agree to our full Terms and Conditions, you can find them here.