Step up your game with this DIY Ottoman workshop for beginners and intermediates.
You’ll learn to crimp foam, sculpt stool tops, stretch fabric, fold corners, add buttons and dust cover while using hand tools you’ve probably already got at home.
These skills will give you the confidence to tackle a wider variety of furniture projects at home, from other footstools to fully upholstered dining chairs and more.
You’ll take home your very own handmade upholstered ottoman (40x60x31).
NB if choosing to BYO fabric you may also wish to BYO matching buttons – check out the button shop – king st Newtown – they’ll make buttons from your fabric, or you may find something else exciting there too!
About Maaike Pullar & Furniture Resurrection
Maaike – Furniture Resurrection began in 2009, transforming pre-loved furniture into heirlooms for the future. Resurrection is a culmination of personal style, skills and formal qualifications in design and upholstery.
Maaike has been teaching DIY or ‘Cowboy Upholstery’ for 4 years, working with the community to improve hand skills and tool confidence while repairing broken chairs and foot stools. Furniture Resurrection has featured in Green Magazine, and Wellbeing Magazine’s Natural Home Special Edition. Currently Maaike teaches private classes, and has also taught for council sustainability programs and The Powerhouse’s Craft Punk Series.
- Crimp foam, sculpt stool tops, stretch fabric, fold corners, add buttons and dust cover while using hand tools you’ve probably already got at home.
- Gain the confidence to tackle a wider variety of furniture projects at home.
- Take home your very own handmade upholstered ottoman (40x60x31).
- All tools for use during the workshop incl. staples, button twine, decorative tacks etc
- Reuse fabric options including coffee sacks, Street Banners and salvaged fabrics
- A selection of fabric covered buttons
- Foam and Ottoman bases (ply & pine construction)
- 1.2m sq of your chosen fabric if you want – this is an awesome opportunity to stencil, screen print, paint of spray your own design if you’re up for it.
- Note that the top/most visible portion of the ottoman is approx. 60cm x 40cm will be visible in the final product, so keep your designs laid out and sized with that in mind.
Vendor since 2014
Work-Shop is a creative concept that will broaden your horizons and help you unleash your inner awesome. We provide affordable short courses in life skills and alternative art. We’ve teamed up with Australia’s brightest creative minds to share their knowledge and help teach you a new skill.
From printmaking and stencil art through to music and gardening. From life skills and personal development through to blending tea and parkour, we offer a broad range of fun and creative short courses to suit our time poor lives. We will inspire you to pick up that pen, paintbrush, hammer or sewing machine and flick the switch that will kickstart a whole new way of life.
Locations: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide & Fremantle
Work-Shop requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. If you do miss this window, earn some extra karma points and give your ticket to one of your buddies. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise a refund or transfer.
We’ll do our darndest to run all scheduled classes, however, let’s face it… sometimes shit happens! Most of our classes must have a minimum of 5 participants before we can put them on. In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Work-Shop or organised by Work-Shop must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
- Any damage, loss or theft incurred to personal property property brought into Work-Shop’s premises.
- Any physical injuries sustained as a result of participating in any class or event organised by Work-Shop.
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Work-Shop.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Work-Shop unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Work-Shop classes and events or on Work-Shop’s premises. (Don’t worry, we’ll only these use to show others how much of a rad time you’re having through social media, newsletters, blogs, website and general Work-Shop promo material)
Work-Shop requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer. If you miss this window, earn some extra karma points and give your ticket to one of your buddies. Email email@example.com to organise a refund.
We’ll do our darndest to run all scheduled classes. Most of our classes must have a minimum of 5 participants before we can put them on. In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.